Acquisition disorders - why do we have them?

A few years ago I stumbled onto Badger and Blade looking for advice on how to improve my shave. Roll on to present day and I've got boxes of creams, soaps and blades, tens of razors that I'll probably never use and am making new brushes on on monthly basis.

A few months ago my wife borrowed my fountain pen and I went on the hunt for a replacement. Again in a matter of months I have accumulated almost a dozen pens, all now say in front of me (inked) and with no current use!

The funny thing is, my second major razor purchase is still the one I use almost every day and yet I continue to buy them regularly. I now have more than enough lovely pens and yet those too I continue to buy. What is it that drives those of use with such disorders? The abundance of information on the internet hasn't helped, nor has the fact that I love a bargain, making it hard to turn down a nice razor or pen for a few pounds.

Why do we keep buying?

Because we're hunter gatherers.

There's no beasts for us to track down and kill so we need something else.

Could be brushes, pens, books, bells.

Not a disorder - just plain collecting - like stamps and coins.

joe mcclaine said:

Perfect answer.........kinda makes me feel better about the money i spend now, just need to make my girlfriend believe it !!! ;)

sunburyboy93 said:
joe mcclaine said:

Perfect answer.........kinda makes me feel better about the money i spend now, just need to make my girlfriend believe it !!! ;)

None of that crap above mate youre just a sick, sad individual who really has a problem. :)
regards,beejay

beejay said:
sunburyboy93 said:
joe mcclaine said:

None of that crap above mate youre just a sick, sad individual who really has a problem. :)
regards,beejay

Yeeah, MdC..................kill kill kill kill kill kill

Some may laugh but I don't think I have any ADs... for me it's simply of process of trying and comparing what's out there to find a small variety of products that I really like. The rest will get sold on.

I'm still trying various things, but have settled down a lot compared to when I started.

I guess I don't have a collector gene. I don't see the point of owning loads of things just to "have" them. I'm a minimalist!

John

What I find interesting is what I'm driven to collect and what I'm not. For example, pens and razors I seem to become somewhat obsessive over buying, whereas other items I simply buy one and live with it.

I'd dearly like not to be such a collector in some ways, as I can see the impending house move resulting in a lot of "why did I buy that?" and throwing stuff away. I'm not a hoarder by any means, but there is something elegant about living a life of simplicity*!

*Provided you've found the right things to live with that is!

neocaligatio said:
I'd dearly like not to be such a collector in some ways, as I can see the impending house move resulting in a lot of "why did I buy that?" and throwing stuff away. I'm not a hoarder by any means, but there is something elegant about living a life of simplicity*!

*Provided you've found the right things to live with that is!

I remember reading an interesting article about this in the Times Magazine in the mid 80's.
I won't forget that date because I thought at the time that I was becoming a real hoarder and it was putting my family life at risk,,

as it happens,everything turned out OK in the end and I dont have this problem now thank goodness.

If it helps, I'll dig the article out for you,,,

Ive got the mag in the loft,,under my Beano collection,,beside my sea shells collection,,,once I move the butterflys collections... :D

Fido got a thing about shaving brushes, whilst I've got one about cut throat razors. The reasons are probably quite similar as there's a remarkable variety within those fields, and even two ostensibly similar items can have very different personalities but at the same time both do the same job equally well. Anyway, I don't see it as a problem or a disorder because my little collection of razors pales into insignificance compared to all the books we have to pick our way around here.

It's in the genes.l

I was bought up on the proceeds of an antique/junk shop.

I just love collecting. But I'm quite focussed. I always do my research then set goals. I like to set the scope at the outset. Then once achieved I stop, then sometimes sell and just retain a few special favourites. I've reached the stage with my bells where I only buy if I think it is better than my least favourite. Then that gets sold. I like my home to look 'normal' - not overwhelmed by any one thing. I'm pleased to say I've not yet finished with brush collecting. Or silver spoons, flags and silver/cut glass inkwells. But I need to get rid of some radios and telephones. And as for books and music - that's another story.

Mick has my mentality nailed - the fun of knowing you've got a hidden gem for a good price or have tracked down the exact thing you're after.

Books are another matter.. I've got crates of books that aren't even that good, but I can't bear to part with books!

ive had this with snooker cues,,,,but now weaning myself off ...down to my last one....wahaaaay

at £500 a shot for a piece of wood is really sad...but i have seen the light

Back
Top Bottom