Acquisitions - May 2024

Screenshot_20240505-154509_eBay~2.png
probably paid to much for them at £28 the pair and I definitely don't need both but I've been enjoying the techs I have so got a bit carried away and couldn't resist. I think these are service sets from the 30s or 40s? excited to give them a try when they arrive.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240505-154509_eBay~2.png
    Screenshot_20240505-154509_eBay~2.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:
View attachment 120086
probably paid to much for them at £28 the pair and I definitely don't need both but I've been enjoying the techs I have so got a bit carried away and couldn't resist. I think these are service sets from the 30s or 40s? excited to give them a try when they arrive.

I am of the belief that the Service Set tin you have came with a Tech ... and the Tech is one which is a little curious, having a ridge on the safety bar.

Nevertheless, you have two very nice 'New' types which will serve you very well. These are '30s. The tin (and associated Tech) would be '40s.

1943%20(N2%20on%20Blade)%20Service%20Set%20No11%20England.JPG

Check out Andy's reply to a thread I had going about a Tech I had in my collection: https://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/co...n-this-gillette-tech.52313/page-2#post-789226 ... and although he shows a different case, that handle and head (with ridge on safety bar) were first found in the Service Set tin that you have. Look closely at the picture above from Mr Razor and you'll see that the Gillette and Made in England stamp are on the bottom half of the baseplate (rather than the usual position on the top half) as was the placement on the 'New' types (British flat base).

I am of the belief that the Service Set tin you have came with a Tech ... and the Tech is one which is a little curious, having a ridge on the safety bar.

Nevertheless, you have two very nice 'New' types which will serve you very well. These are '30s. The tin (and associated Tech) would be '40s.

1943%20(N2%20on%20Blade)%20Service%20Set%20No11%20England.JPG

Check out Andy's reply to a thread I had going about a Tech I had in my collection: https://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/co...n-this-gillette-tech.52313/page-2#post-789226 ... and although he shows a different case, that handle and head (with ridge on safety bar) were first found in the Service Set tin that you have. Look closely at the picture above from Mr Razor and you'll see that the Gillette and Made in England stamp are on the bottom half of the baseplate (rather than the usual position on the top half) as was the placement on the 'New' types (British flat base).
interesting, thanks so much. from quick googles I had found this thread that said the razor was a standard service set but that the case could be from this french service set:

1715061457342.png

I've seen a few on eBay that look like this with the same handle and the case is more blue than green so that could just be lighting here.

also this thread that looked like it was as it came, not mix and match but then that was a long slot head. and this. etc.

I guess there are no standards but it's possible that one of these razors did originally come in the tin.

I actually have that little tech handle from the 40s set too. it came to me with no head or box so I put a new made in china super blue head on it and use it as my travel razor and really like it.

2024-05-07-07-08-06-920~2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom