Acquisitions Mon. 23rd - Sun. 29th incl.

Parcel just in from the Netherlands:

Acq_23May001.jpg

'Dell'? What can this be? (I wonder) :p :mrgreen:

Acq_23May002.jpg

:eek:

Acq_23May003.jpg

Acq_23May004.jpg

Acq_23May005.jpg

My first "acquisitions" post... a parcel from France.
A Gillette 40s SuperSpeed. Excellent condition (much better than the photos depicted). The mechanism works flawlessly!

Very happy, very impressed, and can't wait for a shave with it tonight!

[attachment=1]

[attachment=0]

Attachments

• Gloucester-20110523-00182.jpg
    Gloucester-20110523-00182.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 167
  • Gloucester-20110523-00183.jpg
    Gloucester-20110523-00183.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 167
Nice razors N_Architect!

You probably did some shopping by Erwin, if I look at the NOS injector blades, because I got a similar package this morning :D
Delivered to me this morning:
- Ever-ready peerless in excellent condition with case and box.
- Gillette short comb NEW, cased
- Schick G5 injector, cased (from erwin)
- pack with 12 injector blades (also from erwin)
razors-23-5.jpg

Amnesia180 said:
My first "acquisitions" post... a parcel from France.
A Gillette 40s SuperSpeed. Excellent condition (much better than the photos depicted). The mechanism works flawlessly!
Very happy, very impressed, and can't wait for a shave with it tonight!
Glad it arrived safely & you like it, was sent on the 18th, so pretty quick.

Max

Marcel said:
Nice razors N_Architect!
You probably did some shopping by Erwin, if I look at the NOS injector blades, because I got a similar package this morning... :D
Thanks. Correct, they were all from Erwin. ;)

NatJag said:
All those DE razors, just as you switch to a straight, what a waste.
Truth is I wanted a No. 77 (No. 88) and a New Standard for months now. The real switch to straights came out of the blue a week ago, while the deal with Erwin was just done.
Indeed it is a bit of a splurge but that Tuckaway for example it is such a fine razor, just a beauty (and mind you these are not collectors grades or truly mint ones).
The Schick was a decision to try one, as I've always heard very good words about them but had never actually tried one myself.

All in all I think that for a number of reasons (practicality, convenience, travel for work, etc.) it is wise to use a variety of razors, and switching comfortably from DE to straight etc. is fine and can make life not boring at all actually. :)

The New Standard / Bostonian (the gold one) looks really nice. I a not partial to gold razors but I would make an exception for that. Can't even see any cracks and no visible plate loss.

N_Architect said:
No, it does have a crack ("...a minor crack, hard to see..." as Erwin put it in the email). It's there and it's visible to me, however indeed not very long (in relation to other similar razors it could certainly be much worse, it is well known that almost all of them have this issue).

The case is pretty worn, scruffy, and the overall condition of the razor is good to just near 'very good' I would say.
I can put more pics if you like but perhaps I should better do that in one of my upcoming SOTDs.

Doesn't sound as though you are that keen on it K, I think you should get rid of it. I will put up with the worn case and crack for you just because that is what friends do for each other ;)

You are absolutely right though, when I buy a razor to try I do see the best cindition one I can get (only in case I want to sell it on) but for my own use the experience of trying new razors is what counts, condition (except for those that impair the shave) is irrelevant. It is another one I can tick off the list. I found mime rather aggressive and leaft a bit of a raw face when used with my normal shave routine. With this one it is that touch lighter. Great for some decent growth but I don't use it if my face is in any way irritated or if I had a slightly rough shave the day before.

Enjoy them they look very nice, you are definitely going to need an extension built on your house to keep the shaving gear in. Never mind a shave den you need a full barbers installation in a room.....but so do I.

Erwin scores a hatrick today, as my Canadian-made Ball-end Old-style Gillette, and my Canadian-made, butterscotch, Bakelite-handle Schick injector have arrived.

• Woot
      • ... and thanks again Erwin.[/list:u][/list:u][/list:u]

N_Architect said:
Indeed it is a bit of a splurge but that Tuckaway for example it is such a fine razor, just a beauty (and mind you these are not collectors grades or truly mint ones).
The Schick was a decision to try one, as I've always heard very good words about them but had never actually tried one myself.

All in all I think that for a number of reasons (practicality, convenience, travel for work, etc.) it is wise to use a variety of razors, and switching comfortably from DE to straight etc. is fine and can make life not boring at all actually. :)

Hi there,

Yeah, those Tuckaway (and some various other similar head versions) are nice looking razors. Good weight to those, although I can't remember what the balance is like. Sadly, they have just a tad too much bite for me to use comfortably, which is a shame since the shave is closer than usual. The New Deluxe head is even more aggressive, such as what you'll find on the Norfolk. I'll just mention I'm in the minority when it comes to not caring for the Tuckaway shave all that much. Yeah. most people really like the things.

That particular injector is an extremely popular type which doesn't fit me at all. Those early E and G types feel like they're set on a solid 7-8 on the Gillette scale, My magic # is 4 so you can see the problem here. That's not to say either or both won't be fine for you, but I'm just mentioning they're not gonna feel like a Tech.....heh. I refer to those injectors as little bloodsucking vampire razors. Wide gap and no weight, which takes a little getting used to. Yeah, you gotta bear down sometimes to keep that blade on your face.

Far as me collecting things goes, I'm usually able to sell many of my razors when the time comes. Sure, there's some I never use that I can't let go of, but those are unusual ones of some kind. I run across razors fairly often and normally I won't hang onto em very long. Even exotics like that Tuckaway are no problem for me to sell or trade. it's not like I'm ever gonna shave with the thing anyway, so luckily I don't usually bond with them.......heh.

Now when I find a razor in really nice condition......well that's a totally different story. I have a few beautiful razors that give me horrible shaves that I just cannot sell. Yeah, I could get some cash for a couple, but that sellers remorse is relentless and neverending. So in that way, I'd guess I could be a collector of sorts.

I don't look for missing pieces to complete a boxed set, nor am I willing to pay anywhere close to retail prices. Well, I did that once, but it was a perfect storm sorta thing.......one of those reasons being I was nuts at the time. Part of the fun about what I've collec.....acquired over the years is the prices paid for each. Finding unusual items in the wild for a fraction of true worth does add a bit more kick to the story that goes with the piece. Steve may know what that's like.....heh.

Anyway, I hope those two razors end up being a good fit,

Martin

Here's a few pics of a sorta unusual New Deluxe Norfork Chromium plated set from 1936 that I sold a few years ago. Sparkled like crazy, but always tried taking a chunk outta my face. The guy I sold it to has it in his regular rotation.

Attachments

• deluxe 003 (Small).jpg
    deluxe 003 (Small).jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 96
  • deluxe 001 (Small).jpg
    deluxe 001 (Small).jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 96
This arrived from Neil this morning, can't wait to give it a go tomorrow morning, I have finally decided to move over to the dark side, from now on you can all call me Darth Blighty! :cool:

Attachments

• 1305315303_IMG_2282_w600_h600.jpg
    1305315303_IMG_2282_w600_h600.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 79
I also got a small parcel from Neil this morning and have been buying a few cheap straights off eBay and the B/S/T board as well over the last week or so.
While the number of straights I now have has increased a bit, hopefully the shaving technique will improve with practice (that's most important).

Back
Top Bottom