advanced shaving techniques...

Robbo said:
Just been doing some research and came across buffing, j-hook, and a sliding one (cant remember the name).

Just curious to how many of you use any of these?

Not me.

2 passes and a bit of touching up and I'm done. Either that or 3 passes, but I never seem to need to buff or j-hook.

Ian

antdad said:
Sometimes these techniques are useful if you have growth like a weather pattern, on the whole though no I don't use them.

Correct. I have a patch on my neck/throat that can only be truly smoothed by 'J-hooking' - although probably a slant-bar razor would also do the trick. Fact is, most of the time I don't really bother, since by the time the alum has done its work and the ASB has thoroughly 'moisturized' the skin, most of the stubble you feel right after the razor pass will have shrunk back anyway...

Hiya,

Blade buffing and j hooking are a part of my over all technique, as is the bit of bullfrogging to smooth out my neck a bit. Seems like the whiskers grow in a crop circle kinda pattern there......very nice.

Now I'll share one more tip for improving the shave, and I don't believe Mark (Mantic) included this technique.......really kinda strange that he hasn't.

As many of you know, sometimes radical effluvients will creep into your ears when you're sleeping. Yep, those things will find their way into the ear canal and can play havoc on the balance center. This results in either a dangerous shave, or at best just a sloppy and uneven one. I know, I'm not saying anything you all don't already understand....just stating the obvious so far.

So, rather than take the chance that I've been invaded by those effluvient particles, I do some preventative exercises every morning just to be on the safe side. I was gonna describe how this method is performed, but luckily I found a video that shows it very well. In this case, it was used for clearing the ears because of an allergy, but the result's the same.

Please think of this as a public service announcement, and no thanks are needed.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIFXteryoSU">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIFXteryoSU</a><!-- m -->

Martin

I use the Gillette slide on my neck below my jawline, just where the curvature is big (=where the angle of the skin changes dramatically). I tried to adopt the j-hook for cleaning up this bit, but my motoric capabilities are simply not good enough. The slide takes care of business though, maybe because the cross track profile of the razor gets narrowed when you angle it, and thus gets into the small places better.

Whatever it works!

/Max

dodgy said:
Hiya,

Blade buffing and j hooking are a part of my over all technique, as is the bit of bullfrogging to smooth out my neck a bit. Seems like the whiskers grow in a crop circle kinda pattern there......very nice.

Now I'll share one more tip for improving the shave, and I don't believe Mark (Mantic) included this technique.......really kinda strange that he hasn't.

As many of you know, sometimes radical effluvients will creep into your ears when you're sleeping. Yep, those things will find their way into the ear canal and can play havoc on the balance center. This results in either a dangerous shave, or at best just a sloppy and uneven one. I know, I'm not saying anything you all don't already understand....just stating the obvious so far.

So, rather than take the chance that I've been invaded by those effluvient particles, I do some preventative exercises every morning just to be on the safe side. I was gonna describe how this method is performed, but luckily I found a video that shows it very well. In this case, it was used for clearing the ears because of an allergy, but the result's the same.

Please think of this as a public service announcement, and no thanks are needed.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIFXteryoSU">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIFXteryoSU</a><!-- m -->

Martin

That is awsome, i may well try that in the morning, i do start early (06:00) so time is an issue, there is always a ten minute wait at the Security gate where i work, i could try it there ;)

hunnymonster said:
chrisbell said:
By the way, HM, I'm aware that the slide was first seen on a Gillette poster, but mantic was the first to call it the "Gillette slide".

Not a poster - an instruction leaflet...

Like this one here from the 1920s

Sorry, OK, leaflet, but my point was that Mark was the first to coin the term "Gillette Slide" for the technique that Gillette described.

hunnymonster said:
...nor do I think you can describe it as "advanced" when it's been in the instruction leafet since 1918 (Khaki set)...

I'll agree with you there. As I said, I can't see that one can guarantee that a standard N-S reduction pass is perfectly straight and aligned perfectly - I reckon it'll alwas have a slight slide to it somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom