Advice on a camera

Hi All ,
Looking for some advice on a camera on which I have a very limited knowledge and budget .
I have only two basic criteria to consider ,
1/ It's only use will be for taking photograph's of shaving equipment for posting on this forum .
2/ I have a figure in mind of no more than £150.00p .

Just a pointer in the right direction would be helpful , the last camera I owned was 30 year's ago .
Thank's

Derrick

Olympus usually makes nice ones (for a good price) and Samsung has a nice compact digital camera that uses the same lens as Leicas (not the pro models, but never the less...)... More to come and from people that's better in the know than I am.

Are you bothered about new or used?
You should be able to pick up a nice and simple camera that will take excellent photos for the web. I should have some suggestions for you shortly but i have only just got into digital after getting rid of my darkroom and film kit. One pointer though, dont pay attention to how many mega pixels a camera has, sensor quality and lens are far more important considerations, as is ease of use.

Daz

You don't need anything special to take a photo to go on the web.

What you should consider are.

How to light what you are photographing, avoid using the cameras flash, a light tent with lights would be a worthwhile investment.

Get some form of tripod to mount the camera on and use the self timer feature to take the pictures, it means you will not be touching the camera when it fires. This will reduce camera shake and improve the image.

Look for a camera with a macro feature, this will enable you to do close ups if required.

I would think any camera on the market today should be suitable.

daz said:
Are you bothered about new or used?
You should be able to pick up a nice and simple camera that will take excellent photos for the web. I should have some suggestions for you shortly but i have only just got into digital after getting rid of my darkroom and film kit. One pointer though, dont pay attention to how many mega pixels a camera has, sensor quality and lens are far more important considerations, as is ease of use.

Daz

I think I would rather go new , even if it's a few quid more and easy to use sound's good to me .
Derrick

Lose the beard said:
You don't need anything special to take a photo to go on the web.

What you should consider are.

How to light what you are photographing, avoid using the cameras flash, a light tent with lights would be a worthwhile investment.

Get some form of tripod to mount the camera on and use the self timer feature to take the pictures, it means you will not be touching the camera when it fires. This will reduce camera shake and improve the image.

Look for a camera with a macro feature, this will enable you to do close ups if required.

I would think any camera on the market today should be suitable.

Point's taken onboard , thank's
Derrick

Just bought a used Casio 6mp for £30 delivered on EBay. Cost over £100 and little used. It's to introduce my old George to photography who has just got an iPad. It will do all he will need. It is an example of what's around. You don't need a lot of megapixels for computer displayed photos.

If portability will never be an issue and you will mainly be doing macro work a big lensed compact is preferable at that budget, have a look at Nikon Coolpix L310 and whatever Fujifilm's latest S series camera is.

If It was my choice Derrick I would go for this model a Canon Ixus 230 HS, a very good quality small compact digital camera good brand name great pedigree with the added bonus of HD 1080P video as well that's something I would want in a new compact. Also don't get all hung up on pixels, 10 or 12 million are all you ever need, over that and the sensor and quality unless you are using pro equipment starts to drop off. PS forgot to mention very nice price. http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/digital-cameras/1287757/canon-ixus-230-hs

Jamie.

Just to give you a bit of a comparison.

I had a reguest from geezer to take a specific shot of the head of the Weber with the blade inside, so I decided to take the shot with 2 cameras.

One camera was my Canon EOS 60D, which had a £300.00 dedicated MACRO lens attached. This was mounted on a tripod and I used a remote shutter release and mirror lock up to minimise camera shake.

IMG_0129.jpg

The other was taken on a 7 year old Fuji finepix A100 camera, this was mounted on the same tripod and I used the camera self timer function to minimise camera shake. The camera was set to ISO 400, so this could account for some of the noise visible.

DSCF1001.jpg

As you can see at Web sizes, very little difference between a 7 year old £150.00 camera, and an almost new £900.00 set up.

Lose the beard said:
As you can see at Web sizes, very little difference between a 7 year old £150.00 camera, and an almost new £900.00 set up.

I've found that compact cameras are brilliant for macro work. I have a canon g10 (compact) and a d7000 (SLR). It's hard to get similar close up results with the d7000. With the g10 I can put the camera 9mm away from the subject and get a lovely sharp close up, although this can create shadow its really hard getting similar results with the SLR. The closest I can get is with some extension tubes, but they're a lot more hassle.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38949224@N02/6153380830/in/set-72157627559723089

Getting similar macro results will cost an arm and a leg with a SLR.

I agree that compacts are great for MACRO photography, but the G10 is in a different league to most compacts, especially as the OP wants to spend approx. £150.00. The G10 is quite old now but the current version of the same camera is the G15 which retails at £440.00 so slightly over budget.

Most compacts will do a pretty good job of MACRO work.

Yeah that's about what I paid for mine new from Jessops in early 2009. Second hand they should be much cheaper. I've heard good things about the sensors on newer mobile phones being able to do good macro work.

[/quote]

Getting similar macro results will cost an arm and a leg with a SLR.
[/quote]

Not strictly true, will dig out a shot or two using a T90 and a 30 quid lens. Bare in mind that when "the tank" came out it was a semi-pro model, but i picked it up for around 50 quid. I was also lucky enough to have a dedicated darkroom setup at the time, still miss it and cant get used to fiddling on the computer and not smelling the chemicals. I still have boxes of ilford 35 and medium format films, ilford papers and chemicals that will never see te light of day again :icon_cry2:

Back
Top Bottom