Advice on razor bumps/redness/electric shavers

Hello everyone, will try and keep this as compact as is possible.

I’ve struggled with razor bumps and I imagine ingrown hairs since I literally began shaving 11 years ago but became so used to shaving every day or other that I forgot the appearance of my neck wasn’t normal (comparatively speaking).
Back in June though I was stressing out so much and became so self conscious that I searched for help and advice. Came across this wonderful site and had the luck of finding a thread in which a lad had the same issues as me and he resolved his in a matter of weeks with some solutions passed on by some really helpful people. I took on all those guides and advice and obviously had to trial and error for myself, to which I saw generally speaking really positive results. Only now do I think I’ve hit a plateau and I’m desperate to get to a point where I basically look in the mirror and feel somewhat normal ish.
Does anyone have any other tips on how to completely rid the redness/razor bumps I have? (Will attach photos of back in July time and now..the improvement in how my neck actually feels is incredible, it’s more the appearance and irritation I still sometimes get that is frustrating me).

I moved from a regular 5 blade razor to DE safety razor as well as soap rather than gel. I warm shower before, lather up and go to work WTG, but I do find the right side of my neck the issue as well as centrally. The left is and has never been a issue. What I believe really helped was Bump Stopper but I don’t want to be reliant on this my whole life.

So, is there any more I can do or try to get it past the point of this block I feel I’ve hit and/or is there a suitable electric razor that would fit the bill for me to help ease the burden on my skin as I shave every 36-48 hours as I look homeless otherwise.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Cheers, Gerard.

Attachments

• F9312A7C-7455-4C11-B1D7-2A85F016C699.jpeg
    F9312A7C-7455-4C11-B1D7-2A85F016C699.jpeg
    80 KB · Views: 21
  • 463393D4-4586-4314-81A2-DB453BA0698E.jpeg
    463393D4-4586-4314-81A2-DB453BA0698E.jpeg
    41.5 KB · Views: 20
Firstly congratulations on getting yourself sorted well done.

I would suggest trying different soaps perhaps even trying vegan just to make sure theirs certain ingredients that you don’t get along with.
A lad at my work was quite similar to you but to a lesser degree and putting balm on his face made him worse,
Don’t try going for a bbs & possibly 2 passes is enough.
What Razor/Blade combo are you using?

Firstly congratulations on getting yourself sorted well done.

I would suggest trying different soaps perhaps even trying vegan just to make sure theirs certain ingredients that you don’t get along with.
A lad at my work was quite similar to you but to a lesser degree and putting balm on his face made him worse,
Don’t try going for a bbs & possibly 2 passes is enough.
What Razor/Blade combo are you using?
I’ll search for some vegan ones now, thanks. And appreciate the nice comments. I’ll aim for two passes and I currently use the WS DE razor and their blades as they were kind enough to send me some after a quick chat with them.

Picking up on one of Mike's points above, how many passes are you doing? Do you shave against the grain on your neck? If you do, cut that out of your routine to see if that helps.
I don’t believe I do but the right side is the trickiest part I find. I may possibly try and leave it long enough when I have time off work to grow a good amount and see if it grows out well, if that makes sense.
Map your beard, never go against the grain on your neck. Never try for a BBS on your neck. How often do you shave?
I’ve heard about mapping the beard but didn’t think going for BBS was a issue as everyone else I know manages it, even though naively they’re not in the same situation as me.
I shave generally speaking every day and half to 2 depending on work etc. as the minute I shower and it becomes wet a level of redness stays

Do you wear a shirt & tie daily ?
My skin was significantly affected when I changed jobs years ago and started wearing a shirt & tie daily. Certain washing detergents also affected my skin when the shirt came into contact with my neck and rubbed against it during the day.

Reactions: ATG
Do you wear a shirt & tie daily ?
My skin was significantly affected when I changed jobs years ago and started wearing a shirt & tie daily. Certain washing detergents also affected my skin when the shirt came into contact with my neck and rubbed against it during the day.
I don’t currently but will do in the near future which is partly why I’m trying to get it sorted altogether as I do know it can be a irritant etc

I don’t currently but will do in the near future which is partly why I’m trying to get it sorted altogether as I do know it can be a irritant etc

A few ideas to try if you’re interested.
1. Try not using aftershave splashes for a month or two. Just use a balm.
2. Apply a splash of unscented witch hazel after every other shave and follow up with a balm.
3. If you wear a fragrance daily ( EDT, EDP, Cologne etc ) its common to spray on your neck. Try spraying on the shoulder blades / below the neck line before putting on a shirt or top.
Perfume content in aftershaves and fragrances, EDT’s etc. can be an irritant and each of us has different sensitivity levels.
Hope you manage to make some improvements whatever you do.

A few ideas to try if you’re interested.
1. Try not using aftershave splashes for a month or two. Just use a balm.
2. Apply a splash of unscented witch hazel after every other shave and follow up with a balm.
3. If you wear a fragrance daily ( EDT, EDP, Cologne etc ) its common to spray on your neck. Try spraying on the shoulder blades / below the neck line before putting on a shirt or top.
Perfume content in aftershaves and fragrances, EDT’s etc. can be an irritant and each of us has different sensitivity levels.
Hope you manage to make some improvements whatever you do.
That’s a really great list, will take those into account. Many thanks mate

Back
Top Bottom