Advise the new boy!

As I've said on my first post I'm new to de shaving and have always had problems with greasy skin/ spots if I use any moisturiser. If anyone can recommend some good post shave techniques to help it would be appreciated

Start with getting some proper stuff. Speick series is hard to beat - splash, balm, moisturiser, as well as the rest of their products. Their moisturiser is quite heavy though, but balm is more than enough after a shave.
You may also want to consider switching to cold water shaving, that is very beneficial for the skin too.

I'd recommend using an alum block after shaving. I've found it helps my skin to no end.

I still wait until my skin is totally dry and then I apply some balm.

simonkidder said:
Would cold water not close the pores leading to not as close shave. I'll give it a go tho and look at that range thanks

It would close the pores. And this is exactly why it also leads to a much closer shave, let alone irritation free aspect ;)

If you do wanna try it, sequence is following (and don't listen to the old grumpy gits!):
- wash your face with some moisturising soap (NOT Dove)
- thoroughly wash with cold water
- make a lather as usual - with some warm/lukewarm water
- pat your face dry
- apply the lather
- shave
- rince with cold water between the passes

This is a method from a 100 year old barber book, and I've seen a couple more references that old taking a piss outta new whimpy generation using warm water to shave with.
Also, your face will be getting used to it for a week or two, after that temperature won't matter at all sense-wise, you'll be comfortable with ice cold water should you ever need to have a shave in those conditions.

P.S. even better after a good cold shower, especially for health ;)

Pores shrink, shrivel and distort but they don't close like valves and yeah a 100 year old barbers book is likely to advocate cold water shaving considering there wasn't running hot water back then, hence the birth of the scuttle.

To the OP, I doubt you need any "moisturising products" if you have greasy skin, get yourself a plain cleanser/toner with a witch hazel base to use after shaving, it's a natural astringent and it'll save you being a cold water martyr.

Witch Hazel, as mentioned, is a well known & proven mild astringent which many of us use (as it comes or as a main ingredient in a scented splash) post shave.
Similarly I've read quite a few posts on TSR extolling the virtues of cold water shaving, so it may well be worth trying it out and seeing how it suits you.
Should such olde style manly techniques take your fancy just keep your eye open for a set of wooden Indian clubs or an old Maxalding muscle development course which you can perform by the light of a guttering candle whilst waiting for your pitcher and basin of water to chill down to the reuired temp.

JohnnyO. \:angel:

What some folks here imply is that you're as old and crumbling and as such are incapable of attempting such an invigorating exercise, so should instead get a bathrobe, a pipe and a pair of these:

homeys_mens_slippers_tartan_a_jpeg.2.JPG

And perhaps grow a beard.

Simon, - as you can see, there are plenty of choices. You might find that your a/s choice depends upon weather. In the winter I need something a bit more substantial than toner or an a/s splash.

....and there's no such thing as a moisturising soap, just soaps that are less drying.

Ian

As i said on the earlier thread you'll probably find that your skin calms down after a while anyway, I used to need a lot of moisturiser but i hardly need any now. A kind aftershave splash will do better on oily skin than any balm, something like Harris pink, Speick, maybe ogalalla. I don't think water temperature is any kind of panacea by the way, oily skin doesn't care how warm or cold the water is.

Welcome chum.
Opinions are like bahookeyholes, everybody's got one. Some of our more vocal members have found something that works for them and fail to realise that this isn't a one size fits all exercise. There is a lot of good advice on here and I'm sure that you will eventually filter out what will / wont suit you.
My tuppence. Myself, I have a combination skin, dry forehead and cheeks, greasy nose due to mild rosacea . I investigated the oil cleansing method after trying lotions, potions, doctors, scrubs, whatever!. Was extremely dubious. But to my surprise it works a treat. The science being, I believe, that oil is used to de-grease the pores. (Same principal in engineering) I use it a couple of times a week during a shower. Costs next to nothing and with a bit of tweaking it works very well.....For me! A link for your perusal

http://www.theoilcleansingmethod.com/

JohnnyO said:
Should such olde style manly techniques take your fancy just keep your eye open for a set of wooden Indian clubs or an old Maxalding muscle development course which you can perform by the light of a guttering candle whilst waiting for your pitcher and basin of water to chill down to the required temp.

JohnnyO. \:angel:

...but can you do that in a pair of comfy slippers?

Back
Top Bottom