After the shave what?

Ok, just finished my 1st shave with my merkur 34c and Gillette 7 o clock green and did quite fine for the first time.

Now what do I do with my razor and blade?

I rinsed it and it is clear! Do I take the blade off or leave it in the razor until the next shave?

Thanks

Nice to hear you had a good shave. I leave the blade in, although I shake off as much water as I can. If I didn't use it fit a week or do if probably change the blade but I'm but sure if that's necessary. Say to day though you don't need to do anything.

Same as above, I just rinse the razor with the blade in it and shake it dry day to day. If I wasn't planning on using that razor for a while I would take the blade out and use a new one next time.

I change blades routinely after 3 shaves if using my normal blade, at which time I give the razor a good clean.

I often remove the blade and put it in the wrapper it came it, unless of course it's something that comes unwrapped in a plastic dispenser, in which case it has to stay in the razor. Rinse the blade under the tap, shake to dry but don't wipe it, as this can dull the edges.

Rinse the razor off and loosen the head so the blade and head has a better chance to dry and you lessen the chance of the above.

...and please remember the head is loose

i always take the blade out and leave it to one side.

i left an oiled blade in my EL89 and it left a stain. not the end of the world i know but it bloody annoyed me.

Re: RE: After the shave what?

antdad said:

Is that the head of the razor or the head of the shaver first thing in the morning.

I used to loosen my TTOs but would regularly forget when I was bleery eyed in the morning, so I don't bother anymore as its safer for me. I also don't trust myself to put a blade in when I am half asleep so I leave my razor shave ready on the bathroom shelf.
I don't have any children though, well young son is 25 so he doesn't really count.

I leave my TTOs wide open when not in use. I was worried, probably unnecessarily, that leaving it closed for extended periods of time would put extra tension on the spring. For all I know the spring it tense when the doors are open but it came about because of advice to loosen the mechanism before changing adjustability.

Lose the beard said:
antdad said:

Is that the head of the razor or the head of the shaver first thing in the morning.

I used to loosen my TTOs but would regularly forget when I was bleery eyed in the morning, so I don't bother anymore as its safer for me. I also don't trust myself to put a blade in when I am half asleep so I leave my razor shave ready on the bathroom shelf.
I don't have any children though, well young son is 25 so he doesn't really count.

That's the trouble with being a morning shaver or leave them so loose so they rattle like castanets.

I take the blade out, dry it, and stick it back in its wrapper. The razor is also given a quick rinse and courtesy towel dry. I rarely use the same razor for successive shaves - whereas I'll use the same blade until I've had enough of it - typically 3 days.

I loosen the head, rinse it then tighten again ready for the next shave. After that I towel dry the razor, steering clear of the blade, but this is only to make it look good. I do a proper clean when I change the blade, usually every 3-4 shaves.

Back
Top Bottom