Aftershave vs Eau de toilette vs cologne

OK so what's the difference. Over the years I've been bought a variety of different EDT's for birthday/Christmas but only since getting into DE shaving have I started using them. I know that aftershave is dearer than EDT but what's the difference in practical terms and other than the fragrance what's the benefit (if any) of using something like Trumpers rather than Givenchy.

EdT has a higher concentration of scent ingredients than aftershave. You could say AS is watered down EdT. Some AS's have extra ingredients to soothe the skin, like oils.

The difference between Trumper etc. and department store colognes is mainly, I believe, that the classic cologne houses use less synthetic ingredients (so more natural EO's), which makes them more expensive, but also, IMO, much better. Think Trumpers, Penhaligon's and Floris VS. armani or D&G.

To me, many 'modern' dept. store colognes smell like toilet cleaners, nasty 'blue' and 'cool' scents without a hint of warmth or class....

For colognes, I'm really partial to TOBS: great scents with a long history, and not overpriced.

That article sums it up perfectly. Colognes are more concentrated and so stronger in scent compared to EdT.

I don't bother with the mainstream stuff nowadays. Not because I don't like them but because traditional perfumers are way better.

I got a sample of Marlborough by Trumper and love it! Also I have Amber by the Cotswold Perfumery and Sandringham by The Crown Perfumery Co. They all are very interesting and complex fragrances and you can tell a that a lot of effort has been put into producing them.

The fashion designers should stick to what they do best!

I don't bother with the mainstream stuff nowadays. Not because I don't like them but because traditional perfumers are way better.

Totally.

Im a huge fan of Trumpers Eucris its amazing stuff...
Its not 'young man about the town' .. its 'man who OWNS the town' type scent. The misuses thinks it smells wonderful.

Lasts for ages as well as its a proper EDT.

Back
Top Bottom