Airport advice for shaving kit please :)

Hi all,

I'm planning a trip to see a friend in the Channel Islands, in the next week or two, but haven't flown in a while, so am not up-to-date with the current regs re: shaving kit, so was wondering if one of you nice lads (or ladies) could help me out?

Can I take DE blades on board? If so, should the ideally be in sealed retail packaging, or is a partially used box okay? Should I remove the blade from the Parker before I fly?

Also can I take shaving soaps/creams on board?

Thanks for any advice.

Every time I have flown with a DE in hand luggage I have been subject to a full bag search; I never fly with blades, aiming to buy at the other end. Last time flying from Berlin the security guys were well impressed with the 'old fashioned razor' :)

Its part of the fun for me trying to buy local shave gear - if I can I try and buy soaps/cream and a splash that I cannot easily get back home. Last time out it was Speick shave cream and Pitralon aftershave.

Reiterating what has already been said, but I happened to ask this question the other day at the airport. You can take cartridge/disposable razors, so long as the blade is fully fixed in a casing. DE blades are definitely not allowed in hand luggage.

I personally wouldn't bother taking DE. You should try Gillette Guard cartridge razor. It's meant for the Indian market, single blade, and it's really rather good! Normally sell for a few pounds via Ebay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Best option for DE blades: checked in luggage, if none then, as said before, posting your blades prior to your departure is your second option.

If travelling with a cabin case luggage, then a cartridge razor that suits you will be fine (my favourite is the disposable SE Bic Metal).

A couple of other things to be careful about with cabin luggage. Even if a bottle is nearly empty....if the stated original volume is greater than 100ml....they will take it. Shaving soap also needs to be carried with care. If the stated volume is greater than 100ml and they deem the soap to be malleable...that will disappear also.

Just put your shaving kit in your checked in luggage. I realise that there are numerous things that can be done with the extra 30 minutes collecting your suitcase from the carousel will add to your journey, but you'll just need to cope with it.

Just put your shaving kit in your checked in luggage.

+1 here.

Being a seaman I have travelled this way for the past 42 years. At least I can still take decent gear away with me and no corner cutting.

If it comes down to hand luggage only then I have always found 'samples' and a decent disposable fit the bill perfectly. I often still carry a DE as usually find I can find blades somewhere or other. I have come against the occasional security officer who is convinced I must have blades on my person, but never a great deal.

I do get puzzled by 'travel' items such as handles which come in two parts and tiny little brushes. The normal item takes up very little space in the first place so why bother with lesser?

Back
Top Bottom