Alum is a deodorant?

I bought an alum stick from connaughts and have used it a couple of times now - i do find it calms the redness a little.

Ive heard talk on here of people using alum as a deodorant? Howdoes this work?

it doesnt really have a ascent per se. do u wet it and just rub it under your pits then leave it to dry?

Is it even effective?

noobstu said:
I bought an alum stick from connaughts and have used it a couple of times now - i do find it calms the redness a little.

Ive heard talk on here of people using alum as a deodorant? Howdoes this work?

it doesnt really have a ascent per se. do u wet it and just rub it under your pits then leave it to dry?

Is it even effective?

Yes just wet it and apply like a deo stick. Works ok you don't have to have a scent as it stops the bacteria that causes BO. I never use a scented deo as I always use a cologne / aftershave.

Tall_Paul said:
Wet your armpits and rub the alum under them.

It works really well IMHO, though it's worth bearing in mind you will sweat as it isn't an anti-perspirant.

Or just wet the alum block and rub it under the ol' armpits. Works best if you keep your hair trimmed there.

Have used alum for several years ( aluminium in antiperspirants linked with Alzheimers, but not proven causally :) )

Yep, it works well as a deo, kills any bacteria under your pits and it's the bacteria that cause the smells. Lasts a very long time too, both in terms of odour protection time (should last well over 12 hours) and stick life (a stick will probably last you a year at least).

It's saved my work shirts, they used to get ruined by roll ons. Now no residue means no crunchy arm pit areas on the shirt, alum washes away just fine.

As you notice, there is no scent to alum so use something else if you want a pleasant smell as well. I splash bay rum on the face and then rub the remainder over my chest. Super manly.

Canuck said:
It's saved my work shirts, they used to get ruined by roll ons. Now no residue means no crunchy arm pit areas on the shirt, alum washes away just fine.

That's an excellent point. No crunchy armpits or white stains either.

When I had Chickenpox, it was impossible for me to use my normal antiperspirant, so I used an alum block. Worked a treat.

Ian

spaceryder said:
Tall_Paul said:
Wet your armpits and rub the alum under them.

It works really well IMHO, though it's worth bearing in mind you will sweat as it isn't an anti-perspirant.

Or just wet the alum block and rub it under the ol' armpits. Works best if you keep your hair trimmed there.

Have used alum for several years ( aluminium in antiperspirants linked with Alzheimers, but not proven causally :) )

Alum is - or rather contains - aluminium.

The clue is in the name. ;-)

I use it every day. As above it isn't an antiperspirant but doesn't ruin clothes like they can. I tend to use the stuff below once every couple of months, stops any undue sweating. It must destroy the sweat glands, it's that effective.

http://www.boots.com/en/Driclor-Solution-Roll-On-Applicator_22023/

Back
Top Bottom