Alum Prices

G

Gairdner

I've noticed the price of Alum blocks vary wildly so I take there must be different qualities of the stuff? I mean Bloc Osma 75g in a posh box and made in France costs £7.90 at Connaught while Doctor Plus 100g in a cheap cellophane wrapper is just £1.90. Is there that much of a difference that Bloc Osma is worth the extra £6 for 25g less?

Bloc Osma Alum Block 75g

Doctor Plus Alum Bar 100g

Looking for enlightenment, gents.

Agree. I had bought some of the more costly ones, but as I have a hard tile floor in the bathroom they all usually end up the same. Very small sharp pieces:)-(.

The Bloc Osma is grown more slowly so you get large identifiable crystals, it looks nice when it's been worn down a bit and you can see the individual large shapes. It's pre-rounded so it's comfortable to use straight away, but I appreciate that those qualities aren't important to most. It might just explain where a bit of the extra money goes.
Other than that there's no difference and they do exactly the same thing.

I've had Bloc Osma, SAL (the sticks from Connaught) and cheap generic alum (£1) from Indian Grocers, the SAL is the only one I haven't dropped and smashed. Currently using Osma and SAL for what it's worth.

The greatest side benefit I've had since starting DE shaving is the discovery of Alum as an deodorant/antiperspirant. As a 21st tubster, I have the capacity to sweat uncomfortably and now use the alum ahem, almost everywhere, if you get my meaning. Not only does it out perform every single spray or roll on I've ever used it cuts down on the odd pimple I get at the top of my back. No annoying cheap scent and no choking mist as well as being immensely economical and takes up less space in the bathroom. I'm very glad to discover that there is little or no difference in the different brands/prices. Its testament to today's pharmaceutical companies great marketing when they sell all that spray guff when a wee bar that's been around since Moses was a lad does the job better.

Back
Top Bottom