An OC that's as smooth as a Rockwell?

I'm very fond of my Rockwell 6s. But somethings I wish they made an extra open comb plate, especially when I have neglected my shaving ritual for more than a week or so.
Is there a open comb with the same qualities as the Rockwell,? I mean a smooth, efficient, sturdy, well built razor?
Lots and lots and lots.

Gillette Old, New Improved and New in the three part format, the OC Aristocrat and Sheraton in TTOs. The ATT razors mentioned above and also my favorite ATT OC the S2. In inexpensive razors that perform as well as my Rockwell I would recommend the Fatip Grande and Italian Barber (RazoRock) Old Type. Then there is the other great option, a GEM MMOC, maybe the best of the bunch.

Fatip Piccolo. Lots of talk on forums about build quality, but solid in my view. You could quibble about the need to check that your blade is absolutely dead centre, but it's easy and quick to make sure it's sitting as one would hope.

Gillette News are smooth but mild in my view. Still a very nice shave.

I do reach for the Fatip if I haven't shaved for a few days, but to be honest, I don't think there's that much in the "if you have a long growth, use and open comb" philosophy. My 37c is equally up to the task. It's more about the design of the razor head itself rather than OC or CC dichotomy.

I haven't used a Rockwell but the best DE OC I've used for smoothness is the Old Type Single Ring or Old Type thick cap.
The most efficient DE I have is the Muhle R41 but it lacks the smoothness of the Gillettes.
Then there is the other great option, a GEM MMOC, maybe the best of the bunch.
+1
I mean a smooth, efficient, sturdy, well built razor?
Not strictly an OC but the ER Streamline ticks all of those boxes.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom