and another Valet find

Here's one I got the other day of the bay for a very reasonable sum, the whole thing needed a bit of tlc but here it is as found;
350kwad.jpg

2uo5aiw.jpg

2ccnea1.jpg

30az69z.jpg

33u79z5.jpg

b8k4ea.jpg

It wasn't awful but it wasn't great either though the strop is in very good order even better after a bit of aqueos cream applied to it.
I'll post the after pictures later on today.

mbullyb said:
Nice razor, which model is this?

Greetings

I do not know what classification Robert Waite gave to this razor but it is the very last model made by Valet before they ceased trading, they called the safety bar, The New Runner Guard.

They were made both sides of the Atlantic, most of the US models are gold (gilt) plated.

IMHO they shave exactly the same as the previous model (superbly) with the standard open comb, they are less commonly found then the OC models.

Regards
Dick.

I've seen them classified as VC4's at least in the USA http://shavenook.com/thread-se-razor-review-the-valet-autostrop-vc1-2-3-4
To be honest I prefer my open comb version shave wise it also seems to hold the blade firmer, but that may be that the 'New runner guard' has had more use and thus the blade holding wings are a little 'looser'?
In fact my open comb 'VC3' has become my every day razor and I up to about 14 shaves on an original 'blue steel' Valet blade, stropped 5-10 times before and after each shave.

Derbyshirechap said:
I've seen them classified as VC4's at least in the USA http://shavenook.com/thread-se-razor-review-the-valet-autostrop-vc1-2-3-4
To be honest I prefer my open comb version shave wise it also seems to hold the blade firmer, but that may be that the 'New runner guard' has had more use and thus the blade holding wings are a little 'looser'?
In fact my open comb 'VC3' has become my every day razor and I up to about 14 shaves on an original 'blue steel' Valet blade, stropped 5-10 times before and after each shave.

Thanks an interesting thread but now im more confused. I have 3 Valet razors and they are all different. The head on one of them looks like a VC2 but it has a ball end knurled handle? Of the other two i have i believe one is a Model B.

How many versions were there and are there any threads which show the differences between A&B models?

Thanks
Mark

I believe that the American VC1 equates to the English and Canadian? Model B.
The Model A I think was the first mass produced 'Autostrop' and had a different head lever system and a hollow handle with a distinctive square section under the head where the hollow handle comes out of.
I wouldn't worry too much just find the model that suits you with a good strop and some original blued steel blades and give one a try...I use my VC3 every day currently and love it....just get the blade angle right

Been buying these razors for sometime time. Have never used them. Seems like more or a has hassle getting them ready than using a straight?? But. As I see reasonably priced pieces and parts on EBay I'm drawn to buying them. Lastest was this one, this past week...[attachment=9684]

Do I need it? Who knows?

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392999681.554451.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392999681.554451.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 19
that looks great indeed, for me I like the mechanical aspect of the piece however I like the challenge of getting it shave ready and would happily give that one a go!

Beautiful! I got into Valets quite by accident when I bought a VB1. I since bought a VC2, VC3 and tonight, I polished up today's post: just like this, a VC4.

IMG_5028.JPG

IMG_5029.JPG

IMG_5030.JPG

IMG_5031.JPG

http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/forum/thread-24563.html

You have the box.

What I did was swap the handle with my VC3 which is a lot shorter, but the same design and now it fits in the one Valet box I have, complete with blade box and stropper.

Lovely! Can't wait to shave with it ...

You know the Feather single edge blades will fit these, right? No need for NOS.

That came up well, I've seen similar 'varnish' on quite a few razors sometimes it looks like rust ...I guess it's aged soap deposit...I don't like the shave of my VC4 I much prefer my VC3 which I have been shaving with now for several weeks, with roughly 20 shaves on an original blade...I've stopped counting but every shave has been with it so I guess after a month it'll be 30 shaves or so....you may get on with your VC4.
My box was a bit grubby but came up rather well with Mr Sheen!

Gents sorry to raise the filthy subject of money, but can I ask what the going rate is for Valets? Does it vary much from model to model? I saw a worn looking one in an antique shop the other day for £18 and had no idea whether that was good or bad.

Congrats on your finds, Derbyshirechap and pjgh, they look to be in top notch condition.

Back
Top Bottom