Another Gillette adjustable question........Again.

This probably gets asked time and time again, with regards to the 3 main Gillette adjustable (Fatboy, Slim and super adjustable) are there major differences between the settings and aggressiveness of shaves given. I have used all 3 but aesthetically prefer Nickel plated so Slim and Fatboy. To me the Slim and Fatboy shave the same (this was about 6 months ago I last used one) and in that time I have gone back to basics with wet shaving using a simple 3 piece Ikon and have refined and got my technique, what I believe, to be perfect. Now I think I can throw an adjustable in the mix for what it's worth to see if I can get better shaves.
I believe some people think adjustables are a gimmick but are they really an improvement over a fixed head?
Any advice.

This probably gets asked time and time again, with regards to the 3 main Gillette adjustable (Fatboy, Slim and super adjustable) are there major differences between the settings and aggressiveness of shaves given. I have used all 3 but aesthetically prefer Nickel plated so Slim and Fatboy. To me the Slim and Fatboy shave the same (this was about 6 months ago I last used one) and in that time I have gone back to basics with wet shaving using a simple 3 piece Ikon and have refined and got my technique, what I believe, to be perfect. Now I think I can throw an adjustable in the mix for what it's worth to see if I can get better shaves.
I believe some people think adjustables are a gimmick but are they really an improvement over a fixed head?
Any advice.
It all depends on how you use them, and what you personally need.

Adjustables allow you to alter the gap/blade configuration to suit different combinations. Not all blades are equal.

Obviously you can't do this with a fixed gap, and I find such razors usually show their best performance after some experimentation. The same thing will eventually happen with an adjustable, at which point it's a decision about whether to stick with particular blades and settings.

Some people like to vary the setting in their adjustables from pass to pass. I personally don't, unless I find I've got it set all wrong.

There is also the 3-piece Rockwell "adjustable" solution, which I find a good razor, and I'm a keen user of Mergress and Digress adjustables.

I'm not sure whether there are any open-comb adjustables a la Fatboy/Slim etc. (I expect someone will tell us), but I haven't got one; so if you want SB or OC options, it will probably have to be a 3-piece razor. Then there's the matter of cleaning adjustables, but that's another subject.

As for whether they're a gimmick, the Gillette stable have been about for a long while, they're superbly-made, people still want them, they do the job, and if anybody could come up with something similar but rather more affordable than the Barbaros/Rocnel offering, I think they'd sell well.

I don't think they are a gimmick but once you adjust them they are similar to any other razor that you like to shave with. I have the Slim and I use it on 3 usually.

These days I prefer the Old Style Open Comb since it has a thinner head and is easier to shave around the nose with for me. I like the New Open Comb as well but I find it to be a little less aggressive than I'd like and the Old Style is just right for me.

So, the adjustable Slim just allows you to set it to your preference whereas with the Open Combs I had to go from a New to an Old Style to do the same thing.

Some people like to adjust their adjustable razor after every pass. Now, I think that may be a gimmick! :)

I'm not sure why changing the setting would be a gimmick?

A Gillette adjustable is ideal for more than a few days growth. High setting for the first pass to efficiently remove most of the stubble then dial it down afterwards for less aggression?

Some people like to adjust their adjustable razor after every pass. Now, I think that may be a gimmick! :)

I've used an adjustable a few times that way with increasing the blade gap with each additional pass as I found going XTG with greater blade exposure can result in a closer shave, especially for under my jaw but as ever YMMV.

It's not something I've done since I first read about it and tried it, if I want to use a razor with a bit more blade exposure/slightly more aggressive shave I prefer to just use my Old Type!

Any advice.

For me the Gillette Fatboy is a great bit of engineering but as a shaver it's not all its cracked up to be.

Setting 9 was the only one that worked for me, the rest were just for show.

I use a Gillette Tech it clamps the blade perfectly without alignment issues, the shave with a Nacet blade is first class, one in good condition will not cost you a fortune either.

I have learned that good soap, a good blade and most importantly good technique are way more important than an expensive shaver.

If your Ikon works why change it :)

I have a Slim. I honestly think you'll find that,

1. You can get a great shave with most razors and the adjustables are no different.
2. You end up choosing a setting and leaving it on that one, so there's not much point in it adjusting.

If "your setting" is 7, get a New SC/LC.

If your setting is 9, get a Gillette Old Type.

If you like a 3, get a Tech.

Obviously, other razors are available. These ones were chosen to illustrate my point ;)

Uh oh, lurker coming out: I shaved just about daily with the same L1 Slim from January of 1966 to July of 2013 (and then a few times after 2013). And, yet, it is the razor I still take with me if I am going to be out of town for more than few days. When it was my daily driver I was changing blades (English Wilkinson Swords) every two weeks - and I clicked upwards as the blade dulled. In my travels I have found that water hardness/softness plays a very large part in which level provides the appropriate shave. I like having the choice to dial the razor to the environment (and the blade!).

Tom

Back
Top Bottom