Another piece of shaving heaven!

Many thanks to NotTheSTig for furnishing me with some NOS English Wilkies. Used one this morning - ran a very close second to my newly beloved Rapira Swedish SuperSteel blades - smooth, sharp, close, no nicks ,cuts or irritation, minimal sting with Alcolado Glacial Mentholated Splash, BBS.

Whatever else was happening around them in the 1990s, men could stand before the mirror each day and be proud of their little bit of English manufacturing heaven.

Tech question: I have a single Wilkie blade of forgotten provenance. The blade markings and blade wrapper are identical to the NOS English Wilkies. Does this make it another NOS English or do all Wilkies look the same at individual blade and wrapper level?

Hi Bechet, the English Wilkies I have, have the same wrapper as the German ones, different paper though - the old ones ordinary paper, new ones have waxed or maybe even plastic paper. The real difference is the old ones say made in England on the blade.

If only all blades were so marked with place of origin! A date stamp would have been good, too. If only they'd had the NOS market in mind when the machines were set.

Back
Top Bottom