Any archers out there?

Having dabbled in archery as a child, I took it up again a couple of years ago, and found I loved it.

For the first 9 months or so after going back on the introductory course, I would go to the range 2-3 times a week, shooting 30-40 ends each time. I invested in quite a nice recurve bow, second hand, and ended up with a PB of about 540 (if memory serves) on a Portsmouth at 20 metres, at the height of my ability about 6 months in.

However, SWMBO then came back from an enforced 6-month stint in NZ, work picked up, and before I realised, I wasn't going any more. I haven't pulled the bow out of the bag in nearly a year, and I think I need to get back into it to amortise the initial outlay!

Anyone else an archer?

Some former glories...

[attachment=4287]

[attachment=4288]

Attachments

• 30155_397544837668_502827668_4301372_1927382_n.jpg
    30155_397544837668_502827668_4301372_1927382_n.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 26
  • 28505_396087492668_502827668_4257473_7042060_n.jpg
    28505_396087492668_502827668_4257473_7042060_n.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 27
I used to shoot many years ago with a company club, I was never interested in the competitive side though...I just went to shoot.......Sold all my gear when the kids were small...

Strangely enough I've just been looking at Bows again this very week, the idea of archery still appeals and raises its head every now and again....If I resist long enough ,maybe the urge will go away.....until next time that is...

GOLDCREST said:
I used to shoot many years ago with a company club, I was never interested in the competitive side though...I just went to shoot.......Sold all my gear when the kids were small...

Strangely enough I've just been looking at Bows again this very week, the idea of archery still appeals and raises its head every now and again....If I resist long enough ,maybe the urge will go away.....until next time that is...

Not trying to enable or owt, but I've just booked in for a session on the training bows at my old club tomorrow evening... my GNAS and club membership have both expired, but hopefully they'll let me lob a few sticks up the range anyway.

I keep thinking about it. I still have a take down bow in the loft which was last used when I was about 16 so probably would just need a box of slightly longer arrows. That said I have too many hobbies/activities at the moment so no time to take it up again.

Northam Saint said:
Not into Archery but our friends brother is none other than Lloyd Brown.

Lloyd Brown? The Duke of Dub? The Rembrandt of Reggae?

Just joking. That's pretty cool, although I must admit that I've never been serious or competitive enough about archery to know the names of anyone outside of my own club. I jsut enjoy the rather zen-like focus on a single point, and sending arrows down range in a never-ending quest to meet that point. Hitting the target dead centre with three arrows in a row is tremendously satisfying.

jonno40 said:
It's a sport I have been wanting to try for ages but never got round to doing. Not sure if there are any clubs near where I live though :(

Try here:

http://www.archerygb.org/members/clubs/club_finder.php

All the clubs listed on this site have been vetted by GNAS, so should offer a good service.

Ken T M said:
Northam Saint said:
Not into Archery but our friends brother is none other than Lloyd Brown.

Lloyd Brown? The Duke of Dub? The Rembrandt of Reggae?

Just joking. That's pretty cool, although I must admit that I've never been serious or competitive enough about archery to know the names of anyone outside of my own club. I jsut enjoy the rather zen-like focus on a single point, and sending arrows down range in a never-ending quest to meet that point. Hitting the target dead centre with three arrows in a row is tremendously satisfying.

He's a nice bloke, whole family are all very nice. His late grandmother was my late father in laws pen pal during WW2. He was shipped over from San Diego to coach the GB Olympic team and has been over here a couple of years already.

Cool sport that requires a great deal of skill.

I haven't shot for quite a while now, and it's perishing out there at the moment. Never was much of a one for the "frostbite" shoots. Last time I checked I was nearly at bowman grade (recurve), but no cigar yet.

The heavy duty competitive atmosphere at our club got me down a bit. For me archery is at its best about 5.30am on a summer's morning, before the young guns (and the mosquitoes) are up. My favourite activity is shooting at the black 100 yard boss with dayglo orange fletched black carbons and no target face - obviously you can't see the arrow in flight, but about 2 seconds later a tiny orange fleck appears. Simple pleasures :)

Whenever an archery thread comes up I always put in a word for our most famous club member, Danielle Brown. Paralympic gold in the compound class at Beijing, world champion, and a thoroughly nice lass who doesn't have the slightest trace of big headedness. Obviously one to watch later this year.

I've been wanting to give this a go for a while, but not got round to it and last year was too late to sign up to the local club's "beginner course". However, a couple of weeks ago, I decided that this was the year that I gave it a try and went to the local club's website to find out details about the beginners course. Clicked the "contact us" link - got "page not found". Rummaged around on their website found another contact page - this one loaded, wrote a message and clicked "submit" - got an error message back. Undeterred, I finally found a real email address - sent a message off to that address and am yet to hear back from them.

I'm beginning to think it's a sign that I shouldn't bother :/

I started at Uni. When I got a proper job back home I joined a very good local club, slowly bought some really nice kit (Browning Olympian recurve) but when my kids came along I realised I wasn't going any more. It was Tuesday and Thursday evening shoots, then Saturday am with competitions on occasional Sundays. So it took up a lot of my time. But a few years ago I sold all my gear, well most of it. But I keep meaning to take it up again now that the kids are getting a bit older.

Hax said:
I've been wanting to give this a go for a while, but not got round to it and last year was too late to sign up to the local club's "beginner course". However, a couple of weeks ago, I decided that this was the year that I gave it a try and went to the local club's website to find out details about the beginners course. Clicked the "contact us" link - got "page not found". Rummaged around on their website found another contact page - this one loaded, wrote a message and clicked "submit" - got an error message back. Undeterred, I finally found a real email address - sent a message off to that address and am yet to hear back from them.

I'm beginning to think it's a sign that I shouldn't bother :/

How disappointing! Archery clubs can be notoriously poor at maintaining a current website, however, so I suggest you use the website I noted further up the thread to identify a decent club near you. The contact details listed through the ArcheryGB website should be current.

Ken

Ken T M said:
jonno40 said:
It's a sport I have been wanting to try for ages but never got round to doing. Not sure if there are any clubs near where I live though :(

Try here:

http://www.archerygb.org/members/clubs/club_finder.php

All the clubs listed on this site have been vetted by GNAS, so should offer a good service.

Thanks Ken, I'll have a trawl through and see what I can find

Back
Top Bottom