Any Jeff Wayne's "War of The Worlds" fans out there?

I remember my Dad playing Jeff Wayne's The War Of The Worlds when I was younger and I loved it.

I bought the special edition album when it came out 15 (?) years ago and I play it regularly. In fact I played it last weekend and I was pleasantly surprised to find that my 13 year daughter actually came through to the lounge and sat down with me to listen it! Luckily I was sat down, so I did not fall over!

I have heard about the live tours in the past, but never really looked into them. However, this evening I caught an advert on television for the 2012 tour, so I checked out the web and found that it is coming to Glasgow on December 11th and I quite fancy going (my birthday is December 20th, so I could position it as a birthday present).

Has anyone been to one? If so, would you recommend a fan of the album going?

Update - I pulled the trigger and bought two tickets earlier and it looks like I will be going with my eldest daughter.

Uuuullllaaa!

I saw the tour at the O2 arena, it was fantastic. I'm a real fan as well, play the album quite a bit.

Will you be buying the new version that's out on the 26th November. I have mine pre ordered on Amazon. :)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Jeff-Waynes-Musical-Version-Worlds/dp/B009CAAGCG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1353176613&sr=8-1

Great Album. I remember hearing it while I was at school. It's was in Mr Baron's English Class. He was a seventies dude! Suit with wide collar, shirt with wide collar, kipper tie, long curly hair and bushy side burns. Great teacher !! What an English lesson that was !!

Love it! We had to read War Of The Worlds for English at school. We very quickly realised how similar the book and the musical were so we arranged musical listening, book reading coffee drinking sessions with our English teacher, Mr Jones who had an even madder hairstyle than Albert Einstein!

Heady days eh?:icon_rolleyes:

Just listened to this for the first time ever. As long as I can remember my mum has had the double LP in her sideboard; silver-gold with white lettering if I remember rightly - and always curious what it was like.
Enjoyed it. Bit cheesy at the start (only insofar as it's very seventies) but it's well done and I liked the little surprise that Phil Lynott was in it. Would listen again.

I thought Tom Cruise was great in it........ Taxi

I bought the remastered version a few years back, a lot of hifi reviewers were using it as a demo disc. I think it came with a SACD disc as well. Shame the format died.

I saw the show in Cardiff 2 years ago. ........really really good. We are going back to Cardiff to see the new one on 2nd Dec.

I just might pre order that Album!

Barlow's attempt at Forever Autumn put me right off the new one. Trying to follow on from Justin Hayward was too much to ask but then aren't most covers a bit of a let down?

Barlow's attempt at Forever Autumn put me right off the new one. Trying to follow on from Justin Hayward was too much to ask but then aren't most covers a bit of a let down?

balidey said:
Heard it many years ago. Was about to buy the new version from Amazon when I saw.... Gary Barlow? Really? Gary Barlow?

Awful version of Forever Autumn. Put me right off.

Well, I took my daughter to see it last night and we both thoroughly enjoyed it!

The music was wonderful, the singing excellent (particularly Ricky Wilson as the Artillery Man and Will Stapleton as the Voice of Humanity singing Thunderchild, Jason Donovan played a very convincing Parson Nathanuel) and the special effects first class.

My daughter said it was "amazing" and I am now thinking about taking my son in a few years time when he is a bit older.

The only slight disappointment was Marti Pellow, his voice just did not cut the mustard and I did not like his version of "Forever Autumn". Oh well.

Hi Adam, glad you enjoyed it.
I have listened to the original since a child, my fatehr had a LP copy which he still has with some of my toddler doodlings.
I bought the cd and often have it on in the car or at work.

Back
Top Bottom