Any real book lovers on here.........

I would be right up there with you but for SWMBO and the kids - I gave away enough books to fill three quarters of a VW Transporter when we first moved in together.
Due to SWMBO becoming disabled we've just downsized again so I have to lose even more :icon_sad:

I still haven't managed to replicate even half of my library in ebooks but I'm working on it. I'm also still practicing saying "No love, I don't mind it you Guys are worth more than any book" without gritting my teeth.
I'm going to pretend I don't have the Hornblower series on Kindle just because it took me so long to collect all of them. :angel:

My wife is a book fan, but we had to have a big clear out a few years back as we had to convert her library back into a bedroom so one of the kids could move back home. We gave over 4000 books to a charity shop, we only kept about 500 which were the special ones.

We have a really old big bible which we want to get restored, just need to find someone to do it.

I understand the attraction and I do like books... however I dreamed of a electronic paper type device when I was a small boy, so when they finally appeared I embraced them with open arms :) I love having hundreds of books safely stashed away. If I was 20 or 30 years older I'd most likely have a massive library of books and stubbornly refuse to move on it. However now that I've had an electronic reader for years I don't think I could ever go back. Sadly all of the books I've ever read have been from libraries, or cheap paperbacks, books had moved away from beautiful hardbacks before I started owning them.

I love books but find my kindle so much more convenient, no more carrying two books if I was on call and may have finished the 1st, or putting off reading a book as it was too heavy or a limited edition. I still buy the odd real book but normally a lovely special edition version.

Count of Undolpho said:
I would be right up there with you but for SWMBO and the kids - I gave away enough books to fill three quarters of a VW Transporter when we first moved in together.
Due to SWMBO becoming disabled we've just downsized again so I have to lose even more :icon_sad:

I know what you mean , we downsized 5 years ago , and cant believe the amount of things we got rid of , that we needed , im still hoping to find 3 or 4 boxes of books in the attic , but unless there invisible , there not there !

Lose the beard said:
My wife is a book fan, but we had to have a big clear out a few years back as we had to convert her library back into a bedroom so one of the kids could move back home. We gave over 4000 books to a charity shop, we only kept about 500 which were the special ones.

We have a really old big bible which we want to get restored, just need to find someone to do it.
Wow still sounds like a great library , ive virtually had to limit my collection to mainly one author !

Trouble with "book restoration" is that the cost of the restore often far outweighs the value of the book(in monetary terms anyway) , is it a victorian bible with heavily embossed boards ?

Re: RE: Any real book lovers on here.........

mrlimbo said:
Trouble with "book restoration" is that the cost of the restore often far outweighs the value of the book , is it a victorian bible with heavily embossed boards ?

Yes, that describes it pretty well, the front cover and spine have both become detached as well. I can do some pictures when I get home if it helps.

monkeytennis said:
I love books but find my kindle so much more convenient, no more carrying two books if I was on call and may have finished the 1st, or putting off reading a book as it was too heavy or a limited edition. I still buy the odd real book but normally a lovely special edition version.

To be honest your find that book collectors dont read there books :icon_surprised: , better to read a cheap paperback or now an ebook , so the old and new can work together :icon_wink:

Lose the beard said:
mrlimbo said:
Trouble with "book restoration" is that the cost of the restore often far outweighs the value of the book , is it a victorian bible with heavily embossed boards ?

Yes, that describes it pretty well, the front cover and spine have both become detached as well. I can do some pictures when I get home if it helps.

Ah yes its hard to find one of those that , that hasnt happend to !!!

Heres what i can do , theres a couple of before and after pics about half way through :)

Sterling Honour Bindings

Personally, I do not & will not use a Kindle or the like. I just prefer holding a paper book in my hands. I also like the way they grace our bookshelves.

Re: RE: Any real book lovers on here.........

Persius said:
Personally, I do not & will not use a Kindle or the like. I just prefer holding a paper book in my hands. I also like the way they grace our bookshelves.

I agree with preferring real books, however I do use a kindle as for me the convenience of it is brilliant when travelling.

Most of the books I've managed to retain are the old hardbacks - it's the smell of them as well as the feel.

I must admit to finding the ability to change font size on the fly on the Kindle is becoming more useful by the year! Light gets dimmer text gets bigger!

I downsized my book collection to classics and "books I can't get rid of"... and I've still got a wall full of the things. But... I do use a Kindle now, it's the easiest way to take a shelf load on holiday with you. Never thought I'd get used to it, but it's surprisingly easy

No my Friend you are by no means alone in your love of books...my Art Room is lined with them...floor to ceiling shelves....rank after rank of magical, fascinating books.........
I can't stand these electronic things, there is something nice about real books, the smell, the feel, the turning of real pages......and of course, real books never need batteries.

GOLDCREST said:
No my Friend you are by no means alone in your love of books...my Art Room is lined with them...floor to ceiling shelves....rank after rank of magical, fascinating books.........
I can't stand these electronic things, there is something nice about real books, the smell, the feel, the turning of real pages......and of course, real books never need batteries.

Well said.:heart:

I have two floor to ceiling bookcases full to brimming with books spanning my whole life (including some my Grandad had) and about two hundred on my IPad.

I love the romance of a real book and the convenience of an electronic book.

I love books, they are very tactile.
There is something pleasing about having something. Same with MP3's, they don't physically exist
Most of the books I have read recently are old books, probably not available on kindle. I will look and report back on that statement.
I have not had to spend £100 (or whatever they cost) on a kindle. That would buy me about 25 books.
I can lend my books to people.
I don't have to shout at my kids when they knock a book onto the floor (unless its dislodged my book mark).
its nice to give a book as a gift.
I have a 'first print' edition of a book. Do kindle users have the same?

Some of my most treasured books are signed by the authors. What's the kindle equivalent, having an email from them?

But I am not anti-kindle, I can see the appeal to some degree. But I don't see myself getting one.

Just checked, my favourite 3 books of the last 3 months.
One is not available. The other two are 3 times the price on kindle than what I paid for. One was signed by the author.
One I want to read, not available and out of print.

One more point.
A couple of technical books I read I have made notes in the margin. I don't suppose thats possible?
And there are some authors I have taken press cuttings of and slipped them inside the book.

Back
Top Bottom