Any real book lovers on here.........

@balidey Whilst agreeing with you on the tactile front.
With a little messing around you can find most books in a usable format or convert them to one. Project Gutenburg has a great many old and obscure books.
I have spent far more than £100 on bookshelves.
I can lend any ebooks I have and regularly borrow them from other people. I try and remember to delete them after I have done so and don't feel guilty for removing DRM from something I have bought. Calibre is a very useful app!
I am more likely to shout at my kids for dropping, folding, tearing my books, they aren't insured and on the whole are rarer than Kindles are. I don't have a backup of them either.
I think you are getting mixed up with the purpose of ereaders - they are not designed to replace books as items in themselves, it isn't a "there can be only one" deal. Signed copies etc are the ones I have retained through thick and thin as are the signed records and CDs.
Yes, you can make notes and share them with other readers if you would like and read theirs in your turn.

Totally agree with the Count's points.
Personally, I'm not intererested in the things that the Kindle doesn't do. It's all about the words to me... transferring the author's thoughts into your brain. The tactile sensations and the smell of books... whatever edition it is and whether it's signed... that's of interest to a collector.

mrlimbo said:
LOL it all seems to be kindle talk here ! well im a book collector,binder and restorer , so im rather old school , am i alone :icon_question:

Absolutely not! Nothing like book in hand. Preferably hardback and secondhand. One of my retirement ventures was to assemble around 30 titles on various history subjects for some research. Armed with the list I stayed three days in Hay on Wye. Found around 25. Such a thrill to find old editions in good condition. Finding them on the Internet is obviously easier but not such fun.

I think the publishing industry has to bear a great deal of blame for the decline in the desirability of real books. They gouged with hardbacks, dropping the quality and essentially meaning a hardback was only bought when you didn't want to wait for the paperback. As a boy and then adult reading books I'd simply not buy the hardback because I felt I was being conned, I'd just wait on the paperback. I don't feel paperbacks are particularly attractive - and I'm sure many people agree - in comparison to hardbacks so book ownership is gone. When I used to borrow books from the library, the hardbacks I did borrow didn't seem to be of any real quality either.

Fido said:
mrlimbo said:
LOL it all seems to be kindle talk here ! well im a book collector,binder and restorer , so im rather old school , am i alone :icon_question:

Armed with the list I stayed three days in Hay on Wye. Found around 25. Such a thrill to find old editions in good condition. Finding them on the Internet is obviously easier but not such fun.

Now that sounds like a great book hunting expedition , ive never been there , would love to one day , im assuming your in the "New Forest" have you ever visited "Minstead" church ? where a certain gentleman is buried !!!

Fido said:
Having lived now for 35 years in the New Forest I still have a few places to visit. But I have been to Minstead and the Church!
My family came from the Forest , and i lived in Southampton for 43 years , so it was close , been to minstead church a fair few times , as im a bit of a "Conan Doyle"
admirer / enthusiast :blush:

If you want to use the kindle store I think you need a kindle. They are worth it though, great bit of kit.

Santa is bringing me a Kindle. Don't think / hope I'll desert 'real' books. Reading in bed is something I've done since a wee wee boy but the old eyesight aint what it was and a Kindle would appear to be the solution. (Getting my first pair of glasses soon:icon_sad:) My family were all readers and I think that is a good and sometimes overlooked tradition.

My name is Russell and I love books.

Readers Not- So Anonymous

The knew Kindle Paperwhite looks brilliant. Great if you read in bed while the missus is asleep.

Sorry to increase the sabotage of this 'real book' thread by another Kindle fan. :blush:

Back
Top Bottom