Any vegetarians?

Gulp.

I've been a practicing veg since 1989. I'm not uptight about it or anything, though I was a bit when I started as a teenager. Went 7 years without eating eggs too, but now I eat the *bleep* out of them. The UK is very good for vegetarians, IMHBEO: curries, great supermarkets, restaurants, etc.

I'm guessing that I'm the only veg here :cool:

vegetarians.jpg

hunnymonster said:
My other half is a veggie but I get the vibe that she's wavering :)

Yes mine too for quite a while...I never ever made it an issue or made fun, she ate fish so that was a blessed relief, happy to cook whatever and then she broke at a BBQ last year whilst most were chomping on rib's and steak's, it all got a bit much.

Now she is making up for lost time and I am the one complaining about eating flesh to excess. :roll:

G train...I know you are half yank but it must be difficult to be a U.S veggie if you don't live in a metropolis ?

Hi G-Train, I am not a vegetarian but I have recently cut my meat intake considerably. This is for a mixture of health, ethical and financial reasons. I still eat fish and seafood and will probably eat meat a couple of times a week in some form or another. I recently read Michael Pollan's book The Omnivore's Dilemma which eased me towards this decision. When I do eat meat I try to source it from animals that were treated well during their lives. This means spending more money so therefore it makes sense to eat less.

I deliberately have no strict rules about my new diet as I know from experience that when I restrict myself I end up breaking these rules and feeling guilty. I also don't want to be awkward if invited to dinner (I've a few food allergies so it's hard enough already), and I know that occasionally I will fancy a McDonalds or a sausage roll. :oops:

That was the long answer. The short answer is "No". :)

You are lucky that picture doesn't fully load, antdad :x

I haven't really lived in the US since 2000, (though I've been back plenty) but it seems even the smaller, more rural places are being more and more served by the enormous chains like Walmart. Plus, even though Americans still eat like crap, veggie options are more common in normal super market chains. I remember going to California in 1990 and being amazed at the health food supermarkets like Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, Fresh Fields... and then a couple years later they started appearing on the east coast. Since I grew up in a suburb of Washington, DC, it was never much trouble when I was home, but I used to play in bands and being on tour in the middle of nowhere sometimes presented challenges, but actually we almost always had options. Late night eating in Central or Eastern Europe was much harder.

I think we as humans have a tendency to do things "full on" or not at all, which doesn't make practical sense, but it's just the way we are. If someone stops being a vegetarian by eating meat once, the floodgates tend to open. Maybe the best is to be like Pig Cat is doing and just do your best according to what you want and believe. I've been tempted by fish a few times and tried it, but it wasn't very good, so I never started eating it again. In other words, it wasn't worth it.

I guess what I mean is that if you believe something you do is bad for you or harmful to others, etc., it's makes more sense to decrease to the best of your ability or however much your inclined to rather than to be 100% on or off, which is really impossible anyway.

I just discovered the 'food and drink' section. I'm a vegi too, since brith. Don't eat eggs although very rarely I might have 'em in a birthday cake without knowing. lol :mrgreen:

Im not a vegetarian but i prefer to eat higher quality locally farmed food less often than buy supermarket slops..

We dont need meet everyday so why buy the industrially produced meat that is terrible for the animal and tastes terrbile.

Give me one well reared chicken a month over a supermarket industrial chicken a week any day.

Millay said:
Im not a vegetarian but i prefer to eat higher quality locally farmed food less often than buy supermarket slops..

We dont need meet everyday so why buy the industrially produced meat that is terrible for the animal and tastes terrbile.

Give me one well reared chicken a month over a supermarket industrial chicken a week any day.

Uh oh, I almost wrote '+1' :eek: I heartily agree with you sir. Cut right down on the meat and try to only have the good stuff these days.

g-train said:
being on tour in the middle of nowhere sometimes presented challenges, but actually we almost always had options. Late night eating in Central or Eastern Europe was much harder.

I was in Prague last year, and did notice that any vegetarian would have ended up eating a lot of margherita pizzas.

I try to have 2 meat free days a week, but I'm sure animal products are consumed even then in my digestive biccy or something (or my now expired Erasmic stick). My reasons are basically the same as very clearly articulated by PigCat in his post.
And I actually feel good after a day eating fresh fruit, vegetable stir-fry etc.

I have considered crossing to the green side on many occasions, purely from a health point of view. Unfortunately, the lure of a bacon butty soon puts paid to that plan.

Ian

IanM said:
I have considered crossing to the green side on many occasions, purely from a health point of view. Unfortunately, the lure of a bacon butty soon puts paid to that plan.

Ian

You can do it for just one or two days a week. You will save money, and try new things. A win win situation!

merwtje said:
Hi, are we (wife and I) vegetarians when we do eat fish but no meat? Since about 10 years or so.
Sometimes a bite from the (organic) meat the kids leave uneaten.

My Dad considers himself a veggie though he gets through a tonne of smoked salmon each year. There may be a special name for people who don't eat meat but do eat fish, but I don't know it.

Back
Top Bottom