Anyone keep hens?

anyway moving swiftly on :hungrig

some of us have hens that lay eggs, can we have some suggestions on what to do with the eggs (food/eating wise).

I have done the normal, fried, boiled, omlettes, replace water with egg when baking bread, making cakes, even attempted egg friend rice - would have worked if I had have cooked the rice properly first :oops:

Here's a scary amount of egg recipes... they are not my own. Just type in "eggs" ;)

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/">http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/</a><!-- m -->

If I've accumulated a lot of eggs I like using them for Spanish omelette's, ice cream, chocolate mousse or if you're feeling brave souffle's but they are not that tricky once you get the knack.

i'm not allowed a deep fat fryer :?

will have to spend some time looking on the bbc site

not sure on souffle's but just remembered that meragnes are egg and sugar - I like them :mrgreen:

stale eggs - so basically the freshest eggs you can find in a supermarket then :)

read somewhere last year that the egg suppliers have 30 days from the day the egg is laid to getting it to the retailer, they then have 30 days before it has to be removed from display but the eggs on display can have a furthur 28 days use by date. so basically on april 1st you could be eating an egg laid at christmas.

But I am brave and adventurous I just like meringues :p

Glad I get mine from "the egg shed" (which as you might guess is a shed, within which you can find eggs for sale and around the outside of which are scurrying chickens), all pencilled with "lay date" and I've yet to buy one that's been laid more than 24 hours :hungrig

Knock yourself out Evaa, I have no love for the meringue. Waste of a good egg, that's why they use old ones. :)

I did convince one of the clan that the hens should be laying eggs with a use by date, after two weeks of being told the eggs were no good the joke wore a bit thin. :roll:

I kept for many years, Warren Hybrid hen's, they are hard to beat for pure laying ability, I also kept and bred Old English large game birds, they were far different to the warrens, I even manage by accident to cross a Old English game with the warren, produced some fantastic looking birds. just make sure they are secure in the night and their pen is fox proof, because foxes are so numerous now and Urban foxes show less fear than their country brothers and sisters, be warned though be as clean as possible, and dont throw to much food around, dont want to invite Mr Rat around for lunch!

Best of luck.
Jamie.

well yesterday went out for our 3rd trip to collect eggs - seems alot of work for 3 eggs aday as they don't have there timing right yet :(

anywaywe think one was being very lazy.

The egg on the left is from our White sussex, only been laying a few weeks, would say this is classed as a medium egg as smaller than the eggs we get from the warrens
Middle egg is from our youngest a bluebell, shes started laying a week after the sussex,
On the right well we think this came from the bluebell as we collected a large and the medium (left egg same day) the middle egg is from the day before
Next to a 2pence to show how small it actually is. Be a shame to break it
random004-1.jpg

Evvaa said:
well yesterday went out for our 3rd trip to collect eggs - seems alot of work for 3 eggs aday as they don't have there timing right yet :(

I found you really only need to pick up once a day say when you are going to feed them, the eggs will come to no harm if they are left. They should really get going when the increase in daylight and temperature really pick up.

Back
Top Bottom