Anyone reconsidering use of Alum? What other options?

Having a trawl round the 'net, it seems that the molecules in potassium alum are too large for absorption. They, apparently, provide a protective layer against potential infection and bacteria.

I'm not a chemist, but it seems that aluminium the metal is the more problematic for absorption. Alum is a mineral salt which, confusingly, contains aluminium; albeit in small quantities.

Having a trawl round the 'net, it seems that the molecules in potassium alum are too large for absorption. They, apparently, provide a protective layer against potential infection and bacteria.

I'm not a chemist, but it seems that aluminium the metal is the more problematic for absorption. Alum is a mineral salt which, confusingly, contains aluminium; albeit in small quantities.

Thanks for the opinions and thoughts, seems like there is a mix of opinion.

Very interested in the point made by Scotshave. I would love to identify that Alum was not a problem compound could you provide any link to this info.

On the other hand, Witch Hazel is not something I have considered using before, any good balms or lotions that benefit from it?

Very interested in the point made by Scotshave. I would love to identify that Alum was not a problem compound could you provide any link to this info.

On the other hand, Witch Hazel is not something I have considered using before, any good balms or lotions that benefit from it?
I would like to identify it thus too...hence my use of the terms '...seems...' and '...apparently...'.

Last edited:

Lucky Tiger has Witch Hazel in but I just buy from the chemist and add some lavender oil or what ever oil svent you fancy

Not all Alum is Al Alum. There's K Alum.
f6551c95b7a080e00243aa786b40e26c.jpg
ff9276b2b9507d1e22b448f95b4e5858.jpg

I've been using the K Alum in this form for shaving and as a deodorant. Less expensive and easier to use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is Potassium Alum KAl(SO4)2 and there is Ammonium Alum (NH4)Al(SO4)2. Both contain one atom of of aluminium per molecule. Both are use as deodorants. All alum blocks I have used were made from Potassium Alum, so I can't comment on how Ammonium Alum differes.
It stings one hell of a lot more...to be avoided (ammonium alum)

Well...here's the thing. I actually forgot to use it today and my skin certainly feels a lot less tight (obviously). Witch hazel and a/s have worked just as you'd expect. So I'll do a bit trialling with/without. I started to use alum to get my technique right back in the day. But if I decide to leave it, it'll be because of comfort; not health panic (there's enough of that bollocks widely available)...and I'll keep it incase of redness, potential decapitation etc.

Back
Top Bottom