Are these fake Posilver SI ?

2c0yfa.jpg

left: Polsilver Super Iridium from Connaugt sample pack vs right: Polsilver thx SeanC from a batch deemed good

Just recieved a pack of Polsilver blades from SeanC will compare shaves tomorrow with the ones from Connaugt but the visual difference is obvious with different paper wrapping, two glue spots on one an none on the other, different text, steel looking different, even smell is different the manly cutting oil scent from the Connaugt version seems to be totally missing in the sample from SeanC.

Those blades on the left are duds. There's pics of them flying around on B&B. Connaught have been caught out then, as have a few other reputable vendors. If I were you I'd inform Connaught because they probably don't know.

Those blades on the left are duds. There's pics of them flying around on B&B. Connaught have been caught out then, as have a few other reputable vendors. If I were you I'd inform Connaught because they probably don't know.
It certainly looks like it
if @Nisse could post shots of the backs of the respective packets I think it will take matters beyond reasonable doubt

I have been assured that these are genuine, from the east European P&G agent. They are a different batch from my previous stock so I will have to update my picture.
This would be a pity. It would mean they have replaced not only packaging and print, but one of the best blades with awful ones. Luckily one of my Santas brought me 100 old ones.

I have been assured that these are genuine, from the east European P&G agent. They are a different batch from my previous stock so I will have to update my picture.

Thanks for the response Paul. I'm surprised though because I've seen a few threads about those blades on the left, on various Forums. Nobody claims they are good blades. Surely if they were genuine they would be as good as the previous batches ie those in the pic on the right?

I have been contacted three times about these blades. One customer because he did not like the blades & two other customers that had seen this thread & were concerned. Manufacturers do change packaging & as these are made in runs in the tens or hundreds of millions, different suppliers can have different stock. I agree however that the quality should be kept up. The printing & construction of the boxes is consistent with the Russian factory.
I do not normally use Polsilver SI's but found these blades to be OK. But then I do not like Astras, Permasharp & Gillette greens. I found the early Super Iridiums & Gillette 7 o'clock Super Platinum (blue) to be the best for me & that even the later Super Iridiums with serials numbers were not so good.
Remember the horizontal/veritcal Derby concerns about lower quality or fakes & Personna often change their papers & blade printing. I have even been accused of selling fake Feathers we buy these direct from the Osaka factory.

I have been contacted three times about these blades. One customer because he did not like the blades & two other customers that had seen this thread & were concerned. Manufacturers do change packaging & as these are made in runs in the tens or hundreds of millions, different suppliers can have different stock. I agree however that the quality should be kept up. The printing & construction of the boxes is consistent with the Russian factory.
I do not normally use Polsilver SI's but found these blades to be OK. But then I do not like Astras, Permasharp & Gillette greens. I found the early Super Iridiums & Gillette 7 o'clock Super Platinum (blue) to be the best for me & that even the later Super Iridiums with serials numbers were not so good.
Remember the horizontal/veritcal Derby concerns about lower quality or fakes & Personna often change their papers & blade printing. I have even been accused of selling fake Feathers we buy these direct from the Osaka factory.

Again thanks for the response on this. I'm not quite sure what to make of it all. If your right then all we can conclude is there's a batch of genuine but crap Polsilver SI's around. Personally I haven't shaved with these new ones but I certainly won't be buying them.

Well, packaging apart differences in old blade vs new blade maybe due to cut corners in production trying to boost margins, it happens.

Last edited:
I'm hoping that they haven't changed as they are my favourite blades too and I only have about 20 left. I'd be interested to hear back to back comparisons.

I've been thinking about this one a lot on the way home...
  • Same issue reported with different reputable vendors (see other sites) eliminates knock-offs entering low down the supply chain
  • Packaging is slightly different between good and bad, but both look good. Again starts to rule out knock-offs as counterfeiters either produce poor copies (stupid spelling mistakes etc) or just scan the original artwork so its identical
  • Everything about the blade is different, the steel, the text and the smell. If these were being produced at St P, I would expect some consistency on at least one variable. No St P blade I've used has ever smelt of machine oil
The above leads me to start wondering whether some production has been sent to the far east and maybe the blades are just being packed at St P as the bar code would change if everything was being done in another country?

I want to hear from anybody who has used these 'new batch' of blades and have found them to be really good blades.
If they are really good blades we have nowt to be concerned about. if they are shit blades then it really doesn't matter
much to me if they're fake or genuine.

Some feedback on the shave would be nice.

Back
Top Bottom