Are these worth getting restored?

Hi
I'm very new to shaving with a straight edge shaving (4months) I've just recently graduated from a shavette to a proper Straight edge.
I've recently rediscovered two of my great uncles razors and I thought it would be good to get them restored so that I could possibly use them.
Do you think these are in a suitable condition that they could be successfully restored for my use? They appear to my uneducated eye to not be very high quality razors but nevertheless I think it would be good to be able to use razors that have been in my family since the war and probably before.
I've tried to show as best I can the condition of these along with areas that are damaged.
So is it worth seeing if I can find anyone to restore the razors and possibly replacing the scales?
Thanks

U5tlfjl.jpg

idMJ4xk.jpg

OxKrhBN.jpg

hLVcA8y.jpg

YfHu6D2.jpg

And the other one

lqb6E8h.jpg

JvD6LDV.jpg

8N2b8EL.jpg

Thanks for your reply's its good to know that they are salvageable, I suppose I would like them to look a bit more sterile than they currently do but I would agree I like the idea of them having some patina as I don't want to hide the age of them as I think they will loose their sense of history. I think they would need new scales though especially the first one as those look like they are some sort of compressed cardboard.
I will have a look and see if I can find UKrob or Jamie on the site, do they have their own sites or is it normal to just contact them via pm?

Jamie: http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/forum/member.php?action=profile&uid=792

UKrob: http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/forum/member.php?action=profile&uid=1748

Contact them by PM UKrob was in the throws of moving home, Jamie could help you send him a PM.

They look like nice razors - I don't know why you think they are inferior quality as they look fine to me. A restoration using light abrasive should remove the black stuff while still leaving the pitting. The scales look as though they're in reasonable condition and will shine up with a bit of work.

I'm not able to take work on at the moment but Jamie - Pugh the Special One - is available.

Thanks Rob, I contacted Jamie and he advised me to put my money towards a restored vintage instead so that's probably what I'm going to do in the near future, just for now I've contacted Revisor to order one of theirs as all I have now is a Gold Dollar that has been honed by Razor Guy UK and even though that appears to me to be ok I want something a bit better quality.
I suppose I was just going off the scales when I said I thought they were inferior quality as one is plastic and the other appears to be a type of compressed cardboard, but then again I know nothing about razors :0)

stormcrowuk said:
Thanks Rob, I contacted Jamie and he advised me to put my money towards a restored vintage instead so that's probably what I'm going to do in the near future, just for now I've contacted Revisor to order one of theirs as all I have now is a Gold Dollar that has been honed by Razor Guy UK and even though that appears to me to be ok I want something a bit better quality.
I suppose I was just going off the scales when I said I thought they were inferior quality as one is plastic and the other appears to be a type of compressed cardboard, but then again I know nothing about razors :0)

Give me a few weeks to set up a new workroom and I'll polish them up and hone them to a shave ready state.

782sirbrian said:
Jamie: http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/forum/member.php?action=profile&uid=792

UKrob: http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/forum/member.php?action=profile&uid=1748

Contact them by PM UKrob was in the throws of moving home, Jamie could help you send him a PM.

UKRob said:
stormcrowuk said:

Give me a few weeks to set up a new workroom and I'll polish them up and hone them to a shave ready state.

Thanks Rob

Back
Top Bottom