Aristocrat #66 case restore

Bit of background first, a little while ago Steve (sunburyboy) and I ended up bidding against each other over a mint #66 case on eBay, alas he had deeper pockets than me at the time.

Following a few PM's it transpired that we were both trying to do the same thing, which was make one good case from bits of others. Steve very kindly offered me the remains of his project so that I could try cobble one together from all the varous pieces left over.

Over the weekend, I managed to get some 'me' time and I thought I should post up the results.

Steve's case was good on the outside, but missing the bottom inside parts and the felt between the top and bottom was damaged, the case I had was rough on the outside, but had a good bottom but nothing up top. (sounds like a few girls from my past), anyway on to the pics.

661.jpg

662.jpg

663.jpg

The above is what I got from Steve. Below is the end results.
664.jpg

665.jpg

666.jpg

I'm over the moon with the results and it's nice to know that two cases that were destined for the bin have united and now serve as a home for my beautiful #66.

I have to give a massive thanks to Steve, who not only donated half this project but also went the extra mile and sent me one of his amazing Gillettte repro inlay cards, which I think finishes it off perfectly. Mate you are a gent and I tip my hat to you.

I've also got a little project in mind for the left overs, which may take a couple of weeks but I'll post that up if it comes off ok.

Thanks guys for the nice comments:blush:

It's slow and delicate work, but well worth the effort and I couldn't have this beauty living in a grotty case, that would be wrong.

I was reading a post on another blog and there was a fella who mixed a solution of bleach to water, approx 1 tablespoon to a cup of water and brushed the inside lining cloth on his case. The results were amazing. Very clean and I have to say looked very close to original. None of my cases need that treatment but I was intrigued by the process. And your case looks damn fine now Jamie.

Back
Top Bottom