Astra users - can you compare with Gillette Yellows?

As the title suggests, seen these mentioned a few times, and looking for a lower cost alternative to my Gillette Yellows which will run out before long.

Can anyone tell me how they compare, or suggest an alternative?

Many thanks

I couldn't get on with them, always seemed to leave my face sore which was probably due to me compensating with pressure and having to do an extra pass to bring the shave up to par with a yellow 7.

Not quite as aggressive, but, IMO slightly smoother. I find they work nicely in my Merkur 34c, and, indeed are pretty good in an EJ DE89, though that razor may require a slightly more aggressive blade than the Astra. Bear in mind that my experience is with the Superior Platinum; I've yet to try the stainless version.

Astra Superior Platinums are my blade of choice in my EJ DE89L; smooth and plenty sharp enough for me, though I suspect they're at the mild end of the spectrum. I'm a relative newbie, so that's probably a good thing while my technique continues to develop.

Haven't tried the Yellows, but I found the Gillette Super Thins quite sharp and harsh in comparison.

I found them to be smoother than the yellows but the trade off is they dont shave quite as close, good every blade for me, as for an alternative in the same price bracket, maybe personna reds?.
N.B: Shaving shack has the yellows back in stock at £10.99 for 100 so act fast!

Have tried both. Would have to pick the Astra's on price. Quality of both are similar. Astra's seem to be on sale more often.

Prefer the Astra's, but its close.

The Astra's feel smoother to me in the EJ DE89
I think the Gilettes offer a longer lifespan. I just got 3 shaves from one and it still feels good for another.
I throw the Astras after 2 or 3. I wouldn't expect a 4th.

So the Gillettes are good value.

I also thought the astra SP's were slightly smoother, but not as sharp as yellow's.

They are very cheap from bestshave.net though.

I've got a few astra stainless on the way to see how they compare

Greetings

My views entirely agree with what has already been said, I find both blades very good, the Astra's a little smoother and the Gillette Yellows a little sharper; possibly the two most popular blades discussed on this forum.

The Astra's are of course super cheap when purchased from Turkey and as already said Bestshave are the cheapest of all but with postage other Turkish e-bay sellers are within a bob or two.

I too have purchased a couple of packets of the other Astra blades, the blue packet stainless but have yet to get around to trying them.

So much experimenting to do!

Regards
Dick

49er said:
Nearly as good but not quite.

Tried Greens and Blacks? Not the chocolate, by the way.

I've never tried the other Gillettes actually. Stopped at the yellows.

Getting really tempted by the Astras, I'll pull the trigger soon I think, when I have some pocket money to spend on bits.

Thanks everyone for the input, seems like i need to give these a go.

Astra Superior Platinums seem to nick me even in a Tech!
Yellows dont. Obviously down to me/the blade/technique? But I do not get the same results in the same razors.

Back
Top Bottom