Astra users - can you compare with Gillette Yellows?

brushfan said:
49er said:
Nearly as good but not quite.

Tried Greens and Blacks? Not the chocolate, by the way.

I've never tried the other Gillettes actually. Stopped at the yellows.

Getting really tempted by the Astras, I'll pull the trigger soon I think, when I have some pocket money to spend on bits.

Thanks everyone for the input, seems like i need to give these a go.

Personally, I would try the Blacks next, then the Greens and only then try Astras.

49er said:
brushfan said:
49er said:
Nearly as good but not quite.

Tried Greens and Blacks? Not the chocolate, by the way.

I've never tried the other Gillettes actually. Stopped at the yellows.

Getting really tempted by the Astras, I'll pull the trigger soon I think, when I have some pocket money to spend on bits.

Thanks everyone for the input, seems like i need to give these a go.

Personally, I would try the Blacks next, then the Greens and only then try Astras.

As luck would have it, I was clearing out my stash today, trying to sort out what to keep and what I can live without. In amongst all the bits and bobs, I found a single Astra blade, from where I do not know!

I tried it, I loved it, so smooth. Not as sharp as the yellows as people stated, but buttery smooth all the same.

I'm going to order some, but I am going to order a pack of the blacks and greens too, just because I have a blade bug!

fatboyslimfast said:
For me, better than a yellow. I found the yellow a little scratchy, whereas the astra always seems smooth. I also get 5 shaves out of an astra, so no worries longevity wise.

Funnily enough I am back to trying a Yellow blade (after a while with Perma-sharp blades) and though it's been a while since I used an Astra SP (not many left) which has seemed smooth in the past, the Yellow I did find 'scratchy' too and a fair few weepers and some irritation - especially the neck area.

Longevity speaking - 3 days max for Yellow if that and at least the same with Astra SP iirc.

I have used both of them for a couple years now, on and off.
The Yellow is to me the better blade for most my DE's, as I find it a bit sharper while still feeling smooth enough for my taste.

I'm a bit late to this as I'd not tried Astra in well over a year and I got some in a swap last week. I'm a long time user of 7 o'clock yellow plus some of the other colours, but I've done a couple of comparison shaves now.

To be honest I couldn't pick up much difference between the two, the 7's seem a little sharper if anything, but I find them pretty comparable. I'm not sure the Astra was any smoother, but then I don't find the yellows scratchy to start with so maybe (as I've said before) I'm less discerning than some members.
I generally only put blades into 2 categories, "good" and "would not use again", and Astras are definately the former.

Astra Sp's work better in my opinion in more aggressive razors...R41 for example...perfect, very smooth close shave in the R41

Used in my Futur, they don't feel as sharp or shave as close as the Gillette yellows,which are my everyday blade...

Today instead of my normal straight shave I loaded my plisikon with a astra green and well what a cr*p shave I was given 5 of these to try and I have used one and don't like it at all so the next razor I get rid of I will include the remaining greens. Done nothing different today than any other time I use a DE except today I had a small nick at the side of my mouth and another on my neck so all I can think is that they don't work for me

over5feet said:
Today instead of my normal straight shave I loaded my plisikon with a astra green and well what a cr*p shave I was given 5 of these to try and I have used one and don't like it at all so the next razor I get rid of I will include the remaining greens. Done nothing different today than any other time I use a DE except today I had a small nick at the side of my mouth and another on my neck so all I can think is that they don't work for me

I think you're the first person I've heard of who hates them - just shows that everyone's different.

I find blades can be razor dependant. Coincidentally I've been using an Astra the past couple of shaves in place of my usual Perma-Sharp (This for me is the closest to 7OCY). I find the Astra just isn't sharp enough and as a consequence I tend to over compensate ending ub with some irritability.

If you wnat a couple of Perma-Sharp and Astra's to compare to the 7OCY, pm and I'll happily post.

Back
Top Bottom