Automatic garage doors.

There's always someone here who knows something useful about most things.

I've resisted having an automatic garage door because I thought the mechanism would interfere with the lighting above my table tennis table. I'm now starting with a clean sheet and no restrictions so what's the best way of going about the installation of an automatic door which can be cotrolled by remote from the car?

Any tips will be appreciated.

Fido said:
There's always someone here who knows something useful about most things.

I've resisted having an automatic garage door because I thought the mechanism would interfere with the lighting above my table tennis table. I'm now starting with a clean sheet and no restrictions so what's the best way of going about the installation of an automatic door which can be cotrolled by remote from the car?

Any tips will be appreciated.

Isn't that what a wife is for ?

Yeah I have one...godsend for a biker and in crap weather actually, I installed mine but get a local installer.

Chain drive
Enough power for the actual door
Soft start and finish will reduce stress on motor
Digital entry keypad (outside)
More than one remote (car & bikes?)
I don't have it but you might want something with multipoint locking for added security

Mines by Seip and came with 10 year guarantee.

http://www.seip.co.uk/

Best thing since sliced bread. We went with a roller type as the doors needed replacing. The roller type doesn't need as much clearance in the roof space as an up and over type. So storage space above remains useable.

I went for an add-on to my existing door. I can't offer useful advice as I just bought what my fitter recommended, but it was a fantastic piece of value in terms of quality of life gained per pound spent - not having to clamber in and out if a very low car extra times, usually in the rain it seems, worth every last penny.

Best thing I ever bought.
I had mine added to my existing doors.
I have 4 remotes, one in the each of our two cars, one just inside our front door and one inside the back garage door.
I love the idea of a digital keypad outside though!
Seriously, best thing ever, you won't regret it Fido

If I used my garage for the car I would of invested long. Sadly the garage is a storage area for basically junk SWMBO can't throw away. It's gradually dwindling away. Our plan though is to convert it in to a downstairs living room. We live in a three storey town house with the living room on the first floor. A downstairs area would be great and we could then have a cinema / guest room.

There are two types of methods for automation Peter...retro fit your existing door(s) as I have or as Daz recommended replace the lot with roller/slated integrated door which is obviously far more costly.

Unless it's the price of a new motorcycle, I'll go for the best option. I got a recommendation from the builder of my home and have arranged a visit from the company suggested. As from tomorrow I will have a house full of family from Dallas and elsewhere so garage door will now temporarily be off the agenda.

Fido said:
Unless it's the price of a new motorcycle, I'll go for the best option. I got a recommendation from the builder of my home and have arranged a visit from the company suggested. As from tomorrow I will have a house full of family from Dallas and elsewhere so garage door will now temporarily be off the agenda.

Also I would get something that at a later stage can be integrated into a home automation system. it just needs to be compatible.
http://www.somfy.co.uk/ something like these guys.

This will allow you to automate other things, i.e. close the blinds, run lights, turn on alarms etc.. This is something you're probably not interested in right now, but who know in 5 years time, or when you're less mobile at one point.
This will not cost more than most systems, and will allow it to be future proof.

M.

antdad said:
There are two types of methods for automation Peter...retro fit your existing door(s) as I have or as Daz recommended replace the lot with roller/slated integrated door which is obviously far more costly.

Yeah the new roller door is more costly, but in my opinion more cost effective. Less moving parts and easier to integrate. I am just about to replace a 30x30ft door with a wicket door with two roller shutters (long story) Both rollers with all new guide rails, motors, controls, manual bypass, safety barriers etc comes in at 4K. So for a garage door sized opening I would imagine it is quite a bit less than the cost of a new motorbike, depending of course on how much you would like to spend on a new bike?

Back
Top Bottom