Badgers Brushes...talk to me.

Hi Blackmass,
Just a couple of questions to help you, hopefully.
Why do you want scrub and backbone?
What are you looking for, mass produced eg Muhle, Edwin Jagger Simpsons or something made just for you?
Firstly Badger brushes aren't scrubbing brushes and achieve a better lather because they hold more water and heat in the natural hairs this helps in the building of the lather. You then don't scrub the lather in to your face, rather you apply and build it by painting it on. Believe me the lather will build rapidly to a thick luscious slick lather. Depending on the soap of course. I wouldn't be looking at anything but Silvertip and I'm sure when you get a good one you will never regret it. Also rather than following the herd I'd want to have one made from a maker like Mervyn Cadman. Have a look on his website. Give him a ring and he will talk you through the process of knot types and their characteristics and the various shapes and sizes. Believe me, he is a really lovely bloke with tons of patience and he want to make you happy with your purchase. No airs and graces. A handmade Cadman in 26mm Silvertip would come in around the £70 mark so mid budget too.
Nothing wrong with mass produced brushes of course but the disadvantage is that by ordering online you just don't get exactly what you want and it is a bit of a leap in the dark.
Anyway. Hope that helps in some small way.
Cheers
Wayne.

Last edited:
Hi Blackmass,
What are you looking for, mass produced eg Muhle, Edwin Jagger Simpsons or something made just for you?
Firstly Badger brushes aren't scrubbing brushes and achieve a better lather because they hold more water and heat in the natural hairs this helps in the building of the lather. You then don't scrub the lather in to your face, rather you apply and build it by painting it on. Believe me the lather will build rapidly to a thick luscious slick lather. Depending on the soap of course. I wouldn't be looking at anything but Silvertip and I'm sure when you get a good one you will never regret it. Also rather than following the herd I'd want to have one made from a maker like Mervyn Cadman. Have a look on his website. Give him a ring and he will talk you through the process of knot types and their characteristics and the various shapes and sizes. Believe me, he is a really lovely bloke with tons of patience and he want to make you happy with your purchase. No airs and graces.
Nothing wrong with mass produced brushes of course but the disadvantage is that by ordering online you just don't get exactly what you want and it is a bit of a leap in the dark.
Cheers
Wayne.
+1 for a cadman brush, you can't go wrong with a brush that is made to your specs.

When you have got your badger, get a boar brush for variety. I have an Omega 48, which is the rebranded Proraso, (or vice versa actually). It cost me 6 euro in an Italian supermarket, or about £10 online in the UK.

Okay, the handle isn't the highest specification, but it is a great big thing that loads up whatever I use it with, soaps, creams, pucks. It has great backbone, and does well face lathering and in the bowl.

In fact, until I got this, I had never really got the hang of bowl lathering.

Obviously there are many options out there, but as far as value for money is concerned, this is a cracking unit.

When you have got your badger, get a boar brush for variety. I have an Omega 48, which is the rebranded Proraso, (or vice versa actually). It cost me 6 euro in an Italian supermarket, or about £10 online in the UK.

Okay, the handle isn't the highest specification, but it is a great big thing that loads up whatever I use it with, soaps, creams, pucks. It has great backbone, and does well face lathering and in the bowl.

In fact, until I got this, I had never really got the hang of bowl lathering.

Obviously there are many options out there, but as far as value for money is concerned, this is a cracking unit.
It is indeed a cracking brush and if you are looking for your first boar brush this is hard to beat on cost and quality imo, I have one and love it!

Hi Blackmass,
Firstly Badger brushes aren't scrubbing brushes and achieve a better lather because they hold more water and heat in the natural hairs this helps in the building of the lather. You then don't scrub the lather in to your face, rather you apply and build it by painting it on. Believe me the lather will build rapidly to a thick luscious slick lather. Depending on the soap of course. I wouldn't be looking at anything but Silvertip and I'm sure when you get a good one you will never regret it. Also rather than following the herd I'd want to have one made from a maker like Mervyn Cadman. Have a look on his website. Give him a ring and he will talk you through the process of knot types and their characteristics and the various shapes and sizes. Believe me, he is a really lovely bloke with tons of patience and he want to make you happy with your purchase. No airs and graces. A handmade Cadman in 26mm Silvertip would come in around the £70 mark so mid budget too.
Cheers
Wayne.
Jeez Wayne, now that's another thing I'm going to have to buy!

Lots of good responses on here already, I'll just trow in another +1 on the Colonel by Simpson, I own one and enjoy using it. A bit scrubby, no doubt, but I like it. Also own a synthetic, a manchurian 2-band and a Semogue SOC boar. Used to own an EJ medium size in best and really cannot recommend it, after having tried a few Simpsons and seen and felt a few other higher-end brushes.

My problem with the customs is always the knot. Those guys won't often say who their source is and so, one runs a risk of ending up with a low(er) quality knot in a fancy handle. This is not ideal!

On the other hand, I see a few recommending the Cadman and this is really helpful for everyone, myself included. My question is, in terms of density and consistency of hair, can this be compared to something the general shaving population can (vaguely) relate to? E.g. Simpsons, EJs, Muehles, Kents, Epsilons... So, no customs, but I guess a valid comparison could also be made with higher-end makers, like Shavemac, Thater, M&F and others I may not even know about.

Lots of good responses on here already, I'll just trow in another +1 on the Colonel by Simpson, I own one and enjoy using it. A bit scrubby, no doubt, but I like it. Also own a synthetic, a manchurian 2-band and a Semogue SOC boar. Used to own an EJ medium size in best and really cannot recommend it, after having tried a few Simpsons and seen and felt a few other higher-end brushes.

My problem with the customs is always the knot. Those guys won't often say who their source is and so, one runs a risk of ending up with a low(er) quality knot in a fancy handle. This is not ideal!

On the other hand, I see a few recommending the Cadman and this is really helpful for everyone, myself included. My question is, in terms of density and consistency of hair, can this be compared to something the general shaving population can (vaguely) relate to? E.g. Simpsons, EJs, Muehles, Kents, Epsilons... So, no customs, but I guess a valid comparison could also be made with higher-end makers, like Shavemac, Thater, M&F and others I may not even know about.
I am currently having a cadman brush made for myself and because it is a custom brush I know exactly what knot I'm having because I asked for the knot I wanted, a 26mm grade A TGN silver tip That is the beauty of a cadman brush, you get what you want. I don't know about other artisan brush makers but I suspect they would not be in business long if they were putting low quality knots in fancy handles. Imo.

Back
Top Bottom