Badgers Brushes...talk to me.

You guys think that bloom is a good thing? Up to a point it is.

Well you've made your choice and I hope you enjoy it, the task for a novice is absolutely daunting as this thread has demonstrated. The Simpson is still a very decent quality brush but the best knot especially in fan would not have been a direction I would've taken. That's why I had a Duke 3 made in two-band Super many moons ago and still have today.

First, I want to say I'm glad Blackmass got sorted and his happy with his Duke!;)
Second, I should say that I have The Duke 3 in Best and it's an excellent brush:cool:
Third, I will say that I agree with antdad as well...bloom is good to a point, but I find that my favourite brushes keep their backbone and are best when I don't let them bloom too much. For me (and this is of course purely my own personal view) I like to load a brush or lather from hard soaps, crops or creams without the lather spreading out all over the place. The tips of the brush are responsible for effective lathering of any soap...the more bloom or spread of the bristles, the less control and 'focus of the lather on the face when you want to paint it on (if you see what I mean). For this reason, I find my Duke works best when I purposefully don't let it bloom too much...that's the thing I like about it most...It's density allows me to choose how much I want it to bloom.

Sorry if I've gone on a bit about this, but you'll no doubt arrive at your own conclusion after you've used several brushes.

@Greybeard No need to apologize.

I totally agree about a brush blooming too much.

I used my Duke for the first time tonight and it kept it's shape wonderfully. It has loads of backbone and whipped up a great lather. It's exactly what I was looking for.

I know a lot of people love the Plissoft but I found it too soft and not enough backbone for me. I will go back to it at a later date after using my badger brushes (don't forget the 'Blademonkey').
I've also got a Semogue 830 coming (hopefully) soon. When they finally despatch it! Not impressed! Anyway that's another story.

@Greybeard No need to apologize.

I totally agree about a brush blooming too much.

I used my Duke for the first time tonight and it kept it's shape wonderfully. It has loads of backbone and whipped up a great lather. It's exactly what I was looking for.

I know a lot of people love the Plissoft but I found it too soft and not enough backbone for me. I will go back to it at a later date after using my badger brushes (don't forget the 'Blademonkey').
I've also got a Semogue 830 coming (hopefully) soon. When they finally despatch it! Not impressed! Anyway that's another story.

I find Plissoft does have very good backbone, but you seem to have created something you buy at a fairground with that Duke!:D:D...and it looks suspiciously like Myrsol behind there.

I find Plissoft does have very good backbone, but you seem to have created something you buy at a fairground with that Duke!:D:D...and it looks suspiciously like Myrsol behind there.

Laffin. :D

It's hard for me to describe what I mean about the Plissoft. Yes it's lovely and soft and has enough backbone. It just doesn't seem to have that 'something' which works for me.

You are correct about the Myrsol too, great stuff.

Here's my SOTD here http://theshavingroom.co.uk/communi...-2nd-september-2016.39795/page-21#post-581538

Laffin. :D

It's hard for me to describe what I mean about the Plissoft. Yes it's lovely and soft and has enough backbone. It just doesn't seem to have that 'something' which works for me.

You are correct about the Myrsol too, great stuff.

Here's my SOTD here http://theshavingroom.co.uk/communi...-2nd-september-2016.39795/page-21#post-581538
+1 My Razorock synth was the best brush I ever used in practice...and it cost me £18. However, since I bought it, I have purchased a Duke 3 Best and a custom Cadman, both at far higher prices, BUT...if you're a member of this forum it means you're into shaving for more than just the one piece of kit...the permutations are endless, as is the enjoyment of discovering new stuff and, of course, new friends! My rule is this: there is no single thing that's right...just what's right for you...and when you find it, look for something even righter and don't let anyone ever tell you you're wrong!:cool:;):):D

@wayne mattison Thank you for your detailed replies, really appreciate it.

Ok first things first. "Why do I want scrub and backbone?" If I'm being completely honest I have no idea what I want. I've got nothing to compare to the Razorock Plissoft, hence this thread.

My main objective is to help me produce better lather. I'm very new to DE shaving so it's all new to me.
I'm having better success with creams but really struggling with soaps.
I know a workman should never blame his tools, so I don't want it to come across like that.
As well as looking at different brushes I'm also going to try a different bowl. I'm currently using the Aesop stainless Steel bowl. My thinking is I need a ceramic bowl with ringes?

So are you saying go for Silvertip? I only ask as the majority have said go for 'Best'?

I really like the idea of going for a custom made brush. Thing is I have no idea what type of knot to go for.
I'm only getting my head round the various grades if hair. I still don't know what the difference is between a two and three band.
Is it just the colours of the hair? Is it how deep the knot is set into the handle or how many hair's are packed into the knot?

As for the mainstream manufacturers. I like the look of the Simpsons ones. The Colonel and 'The Duke 3' as recommend by @Jel999 via a PM.

As for Boar brushes. I will pick one as they are pretty cheap. Keep the recommendations coming.

I hope that answers a few of your questions Wayne?
@Blackmass

Here's some suggestions, if you want try some boars. Left to right...Semogue 1520, Semogue 1470, Omega 80800 and Omega Mixed Midget. The latter is a boar/badger mix. Boars are great, imo. When they break in (which, admittedly, can be a while), you get the combination of soft tips (they split and bloom, becoming softer) and firm backbone. Particularly good for hard soaps and face-lathering.

I know you've just got an outstanding badger fellow. But the boars are calling you...it's just a matter of time < sepulchral laugh>
20160902_182714.jpg

@Blackmass

Here's some suggestions, if you want try some boars. Left to right...Semogue 1520, Semogue 1470, Omega 80800 and Omega Mixed Midget. The latter is a boar/badger mix. Boars are great, imo. When they break in (which, admittedly, can be a while), you get the combination of soft tips (they split and bloom, becoming softer) and firm backbone. Particularly good for hard soaps and face-lathering.

I know you've just got an outstanding badger fellow. But the boars are calling you...it's just a matter of time < sepulchral laugh>
View attachment 20493

Thank you for the info and encouragement but.......

..........I've already ordered a Semogue 830 last Sunday. :p:cool:.

Unfortunately I'm still waiting for Shave Station to despatch it. Not impressed.:mad:

Cheers and have a good weekend.:)

Thank you for the info and encouragement but.......

..........I've already ordered a Semogue 830 last Sunday. :p:cool:.

Unfortunately I'm still waiting for Shave Station to despatch it. Not impressed.:mad:

Cheers and have a good weekend.:)

You too...may I recommend Anthony at Shavelounge as an additional supplier? P&p free for everything in UK. Their customer service is second-to-none; and give really helpful advice.

You too...may I recommend Anthony at Shavelounge as an additional supplier? P&p free for everything in UK. Their customer service is second-to-none; and give really helpful advice.

I've just had an email from Stuart at Shave Station. They are on holiday until Tuesday. Apparently there is a banner on the front page tell customers this. I must have had a 'man look':oops::rolleyes::(.

I've used Shave lounge and Executive Shaving and yes their customer service is stunning.

I have 4 Semogue brushes: 1438, 1470,1305,830, and i've got a Omega s10065 Blue S-series Synthetic. all my Semogue's are a good all round ,great value brush, either with bowl or face lathering with soaps or creams,i always get excellent results....ok the only gripe it does take a while for them to be worked in but, after that, you get excellent Results, the omega i find is brilliant for creams and Croaps a great travel brush as it dries out in no time..once you get your Semogue 830, give it a few hand lather's before you use it, and it should soften it up for you..you'll be pretty impressed, once it's been worked in the hair tips will split, to create a nice soft smooth brush,Enjoy. Regards.:)

Last edited:
I'm just going to make a quick comment about brushes and soap lathering which is of course only based on my own experience...even the hardest soap will lather easily, irrespective of what the brush is, if it's left to soak in HOT water for a few minutes. This works with EVERY soap...I keep hearing about people struggling to get a lather out of The Fat, for example...I just fill the pot with hot water, leave it for no more than a couple of minutes and it allows to to load the softest silver-tip or the toughest brush. It always baffles me why this simple method defeats people. It's not the brush that matters as much as the prepping of the soap! The choice of brush, for me, is more about being able to control the amount of lather and where it ends up on the face....not the basic ability to lather soap...(Mini rant over and out!:D:D:D:D).

I've just had an email from Stuart at Shave Station. They are on holiday until Tuesday. Apparently there is a banner on the front page tell customers this. I must have had a 'man look':oops::rolleyes::(.

I've used Shave lounge and Executive Shaving and yes their customer service is stunning.
So that's why my P&B Spitfire has not been sent yet, I didn't see the notice ether!

I'm just going to make a quick comment about brushes and soap lathering which is of course only based on my own experience...even the hardest soap will lather easily, irrespective of what the brush is, if it's left to soak in HOT water for a few minutes. This works with EVERY soap...I keep hearing about people struggling to get a lather out of The Fat, for example...I just fill the pot with hot water, leave it for no more than a couple of minutes and it allows to to load the softest silver-tip or the toughest brush. It always baffles me why this simple method defeats people. It's not the brush that matters as much as the prepping of the soap! The choice of brush, for me, is more about being able to control the amount of lather and where it ends up on the face....not the basic ability to lather soap...(Mini rant over and out!:D:D:D:D).
Over and out! That's my line. Lol

Works for me, every time too.

Back
Top Bottom