Balm+Aftershave+Cologne

I've taken a real liking to T&H West Indian Limes stuff.

I managed to get 6 bottles of shower gel on eBay, I'm using some limes shaving cream at the moment, and I'm going to try to get some lime smelling essential oil pre-shave stuff made by someone on eBay.

Once I've used up the miscellaneous stuff I have left around, I'm going to treat myself to some scent too.

I'm thinking though that balm, plus aftershave, plus cologne is overkill and I'd not need two of those.

Currently I use an alum block after shaving, and in the mornings put on aftershave and in the evenings I put on Nivea balm (next to get used is T&H ultimate comfort balm).

Cologne is much better value for money as far as the scent goes, and I think I could probably get away with not using aftershave at all, I could use balm after I shave in the morning or evening, and cologne before I leave the house for the office in the morning.

Am I missing something here or are all 3 of them unnecessary?

I've read this through three times and I still don't really understand what you're trying to say. I think I do and then it is contradicted by something else you've said.

Please don't think this is nasty criticism; maybe you could be a little more succinct. I'm sure you'll get plenty of opinions and help if you do.

All the best

I didn't think it was a difficult concept, and if the big long explanation doesn't work then I don't know what will.

You don't need the balm, no. Just go for the cream and apply the cologne after using whichever aftershave (provided scent not overpowering) you're using.

Disclaimer: the following will muddy the waters. You may wish to sample Floris Limes or Penhaligon's Extract of Limes for fragrances and Nanny's Lime soap or Castle Forbes Lime Essential Oil cream. GF Trumper also does a lime scented range.

Just to confuse things and offer contradictory advice... if it was me, I'd do without the aftershave. I don't use aftershave anyway. I do Alum block, balm (non-smelly stuff) then cologne.
I use the cologne for the smelly... as it's quite long-lasting and you can spray wherever you want. I use the balm because of the nice soothing effect, not the smell.
So if you're not bothered about the soothing effect... maybe you could think about ditching the balm.

WiffWaff, I think you're in agreement with me then. I'm going to stick with aftershave balm, and cologne.

So it'll be oil, shaving cream, (washed off), alum, aftershave balm, cologne.

I'm going to be doing some sniffing tomorrow at Executive Shaving, so I'll be looking into the other lime ranges.

Thanks for the thoughts folks!

Always good to layer the same scent in a product range to acquire a longer lasting scent. Unless its Knize ten of course, in which you may achieve a personal exclusion zone.

I'd forget about the Alum and just use a fresh lime...The main constituents in lime essential oil are limonene, bergapten, citral, camphene, and linalool. All of these substances are antiseptic and astringent. Action: Rich in vitamins and minerals, Lime oil acts as a tonic substance toning up tissues and skin .

Halk said:
Once I've used up the miscellaneous stuff I have left around, I'm going to treat myself to some scent too.

I'm thinking though that balm, plus aftershave, plus cologne is overkill and I'd not need two of those.

Cologne is much better value for money as far as the scent goes, and I think I could probably get away with not using aftershave at all, I could use balm after I shave in the morning or evening, and cologne before I leave the house for the office in the morning.

Am I missing something here or are all 3 of them unnecessary?

Hi there,

Both aftershaves and balms are good in their own way,The balm types generally seem thicker and can take longer to absorb, For some reason it's in my head they're somehow more protective than aftershaves. I will use that type fairly often in the winter months. Too heavy for really hot weather though.

Otherwise, it's a very light aftershave that does the trick. Supposed to have good stuff in it, and it seems to work well. Best for hot days especially.

You know, a cologne isn't usually all that much removed from aftershave. There's often not much more actual fragrance added to the mix. From there you go to an EdT and EdP if you wanna get more intense. Those will also last longer on the skin.

I have a few products with the same aftershave and EdT, and will use em together. Kinda nice getting a blast twice.

Good luck with whatever you decide on,

Martin

Halk said:
I didn't think it was a difficult concept, and if the big long explanation doesn't work then I don't know what will.

What always works is BLUF (Bottom Line Up Front)

Then everyone will have a context to put the long explanation into.

As for the Balm/AS/Cologne thing: I noted that at the bottom of your Post you mention that you might not need AS if you go with cologne. If your only purpose is to smell nice, then I agree. However for myself I just need some AS on my chops in the morning. And If I find myself deciding on a scent I only have as cologne, I always use some Thayers AS or witch hazel on the chops first. I just cant go without.

Consider if you feel the same way before you decide that AS is not for you.

As for balms I find them much too greasy, even in winter. But that's for me, YMMV. My best winter splash is DR Harris Sandalwood, I find it brings all the moisture I need, and scent is delicious. IMHO.

/Max

i'm a fan of the T&H stuff and in particular the sandalwood... and heres what I have:

-sandalwood shaving cream
-sandalwood aftershave balm
-sandalwood cologne.

i dont see the point in the aftershave, its not as soothing as the balm (which smells amazing anyway) and not as long lasting as the cologne. I'd get the balm, cos the T&H balms feel excellent on the face, and i'd get the cologne as again, the T&H colognes have decent longevity and don't wear out quickly.

Back
Top Bottom