Banks!

Who are the worst banks you've used or are somehow still with?

Go to make a cash deposit today at Santander using their ATM's. It takes it and credits my account but later on I check and the deposit has been 'reversed' and the money's not gone in. What is this all about?! Its not the first time they've messed up transactions either.

Seriously considering switching banks now.

I wanted to say Santander but I see you are already familiar with this two bits outfit.

Moved 5 years ago to Nationwide and so far top banana experience.

I was there when Santander bought Abbey National and ever since they couldn't put a foot right, ill save you the details.

I've just moved from Santander after a few years of good experience - once they had sorted out the Spanish transfer of accounts. I moved just for a change but have not become wealthy because of it.

Worst has been Halifax / Bank of Scotland, of Nationwide, RBS & TSB I can't say I've noticed much difference. They all major on , " Could I just ask " type questions incessantly trying to get an opportunity to push other products and set up an appointment with their sales team to have a financial assesment review. Like an occupational and old age pension require a lot of reviewing.

JohnnyO. :icon_razz:/.

I think they're all shit. I was in Nat West the other day and the cashier was asking an old lady (who was a bit mutt&Jeff) to answer some security questions. I think she had lost her pin number. The old lady was shouting as she was mutton and so was the cashier through the glass partition. Where the hell is the security in all that if half the town can hear?

I withdrew some cash at Santander recently, a considerable sum, and the cashier counted every single note very loudly at the glass partition before passing it through. Thankfully the bank was empty but the cashier wasn't in the slightest concerned about that. In my opinion none of the above are any way to do business. Cattle class for the Plebs.

My worst ever experience was with Barclays about 15 years ago. A rent payment went from my account but the landlord said he didn't receive it. Barclays kept insisting it went via standing order as normal. I don't know who was at fault as my landlord was as big a shark as the bank and nobody was willing to produce evidence to support their position. I'd never touch that bank again. Or the landlord.

My opinion and I have had experience of most of them, personally or via business, is that they are all only as good as your last interaction.
In summary, there all the bloody same

I worked for Nat West for 9 year (back in the 80's & 90's) they were moving to a lower cost model then by trying to compensate for a lower quality of staff (i.e. less experience and training) through IT, I think that was pretty universal in the industry and I doubt much has changed.

IMO everything started going wrong when free banking was introduced, most accounts the money goes in at the end of the month and by the end of week one most of the regular payments have gone out so the amount deposited for the bank to earn money from is quite low. If you break down the fixed costs per account, then the ones which stay in credit really don't make a profit for the bank so to give them worth they need to cut costs and use them as a marketing base for selling crap you don't want or need like PPI.

With regards to PPI I clawed back quite a sum. Perhaps I was foolish enough to sign the dotted line, but there you go.

Something on similar lines of bad selling, was my insurance sales job. I shudder at some of the pay out quotes we gave on fixed term life policies that paid out at term end. It bugs me that I know some if them wouldn't of got back what we were told to quote.

Also we had targets and weeks were we had to sell so many of a particular policy. This in cases involved prizes and bonuses which made sense for the agent to sell without sometimes the best advice considered.

I got fed up with the techniques and left after just over a year. The threats of being sacked for not selling what they wanted got too much.

Santandar...Originally the building society account I had 25 years ago
even before Alliance and Leicester.

I popped in a few months ago to get my rent and deposit out
in cash and got talked into the 1-2-3 account.

For the sums to work you need 3 direct debits, and a credit card and if you
do you end up quids in. ButI don't have a CC (ripped them all up a few
years back when a short 3 week period of unemployment slapped me
with some heavy interest charges).

So the young woman suggested I take out their own credit card,
I pointed out that I wasn't on the electoral roll (see reason I was in there
in the first place) but she said that I was a very long standing customer
so it shouldn't be a problem.

Turns out it was :/

So now I pay £2 a month and get £1.68 (ish) a month back, almost £5 a year down!

Ive emailed to suggest I was mis sold but they have so far ignored me, so
I'm just going to sit back and wait for the next scandal.

I had the 1-2-3 offer too but I don't meet some of the criteria needed to open one and had that bs about trying to sign up for other stuff too.

The bank have now told me cos the transaction was "duplicated" it was reversed, so therefore apparently have lost my money. Surely they'd count it up at the end of the day and find an excess that should be credited back to me? And the original deposit was logged so they can't say I made it up about paying in any money.

Santander have allocated me a slimy personal banker who keeps trying to force insurance and other things on to me. That said, I'm willing to forgive them because their 123 account and credit card has earned me a tidy sum over the last three years. :icon_razz:

Barclays and Nationwide worst experiences, won't ever go near them again.

Been with first direct for years and never had a problem, always very helpful when I phone ( rarely ) and do almost everything online.

First direct also seem to come top in satisfaction surveys.

RBS - truly the devils spawn

A shower of thieves, rogues and vagabonds

Feel sorry for the poor folk in the branches - as ever the ones on the front line get it in the neck for the failings of those in ivory towers

In truth, I don't think any banks are particularly good although Santander and First Direct have had good reviews that I've heard of

Back
Top Bottom