Barbaros and Rocnel: Adjustable razor

The prototype razor is looking great on the Pictures over at TSN. Also interesting reading to me is that it might come with two handles in different lenghts and in a wooden box. I am looking forward to more information about this razor as I like the idea of a stainless adjustable, especially when it comes on the craftmanship level of the Barbaros TR-1. In addition to that, it will be one of the few small batch produced razors not coming from overseas which is remarkable too, IMO.

Best Regards
Marco

The prototype razor is looking great on the Pictures over at TSN. Also interesting reading to me is that it might come with two handles in different lenghts and in a wooden box. I am looking forward to more information about this razor as I like the idea of a stainless adjustable, especially when it comes on the craftmanship level of the Barbaros TR-1. In addition to that, it will be one of the few small batch produced razors not coming from overseas which is remarkable too, IMO.

Best Regards
Marco

All very true. Also a collab between two European razor makers (Turkey (simplifying the whole transcontinental thing) and Spain) is rather exciting in itself.

There is a review over on TSN courtesy of Entasis there.

Review:
262tmbk.jpg

Preface: The model depicted in the photographs is a prototype.

I am fortunate enough to be able to shave with the forthcoming B&R Adjustable razor (a collaboration between Barbaros and Rocnel from the country of Turkey). Upon first seeing and handling the razor, I was impressed. It has a nice weight about it (132g with blade loaded); 89mm height in its lowest setting; 42mm head width with a an exposed blade of 1/2mm making the total width 43mm; 29mm head depth; 10mm head height with blade; 14mm diameter handle with muted (no pointy diamonds) knurling. Handle grip is fine; handle length might be too short for those with larger hands.

My shaving preferences, in order (first being best): straight razor, SE razor, DE razor. DE razors, with their thinner blades, are not friendly to my face. It hasn't been until the recent wave of modern DE premium razors that I've taken an affinity to DE razors. In the photograph above stand some of my DE razors to give a sense of scale.

First and second shave: Immediately I took to this razor and its shaving abilities. The head is not large, giving it maneuverability; blade loading is easy; adjusting is simply a twist of the handle while holding the ends of the head assembly. Out of the chute I was doing Gillette sliding, J-hooking, buffing WTG, XTG and ATG with ease. This is truly a razor where its weight, in conjunction with its adjustability let's you shave with no irritation using no pressure. For an individual like me who relishes fine-tuning the B&R Adjustable is a DE dream come true! My face has several difficult areas: under the jawline; Adam's apple; one area at the back chin area right along the jawline. Being one that strives for a BBS shave, it became difficult keeping the grin off my face during shaving to properly shave areas around my mouth. Shave satisfaction is extremely high for me regarding this razor. One of the areas I'm fickle about is the mustache area where I shave ATG to complete this area. Dialing the B&R down to its lowest setting allows me to achieve this with ease. In fact, I'm repeatedly dialing the adjustment throughout shaving to catch that last bit of stubble on various shaving areas of my face.

More photographs and information to come along with closing notes. So, please stay tuned, if you are interested. As it stands, I don't want to return this razor—I want it for my own collection!

512fpg.jpg

2552mqh.jpg

Last edited:
Hi All,

I was hoping to write a much detailed review but with the iPhone 7's launch the work is crazy and if I don't write this review now I guess I will never write it. So, if I pass some details please don't hesitate to ask questions. I will do my best to answer.

de1o21.jpg

It is actually great to see two Turkish razor companies collaborating to make something so wonderful. I had chance to try this beautiful razor for a week. I even found some excuses and kept it two extra days before passing it to the next tester. It is great to finally have a completely stainless steel adjustable in the market. I hope other producers will follow. Some people might know that my favourite DE razor is Merkur Futur. If I had to choose one razor for the rest of my life that would be my razor of choice. I have to admit that, for the first time in my life there is a razor that I like more than Merkur Futur. I just hope it will not tire my wallet too much when they announce the price. :)

3ykxe.jpg

Razor is made of three pieces: Baseplate, Topcap and Handle. If you tear apart the Baseplate you get four pieces: base piece, top piece, spring and a screw. It is really a simple but clever design. When you load the blade and screw the handle into the head spring tension allows you to adjust the blade angle. It is a wonderful design really. Since the handle can be removed 3rd party producers can make different handles and offer them for B&R Adjustable razors. Unfortunately usual DE handles will fit in but leave the razor in most aggressive setting.

11lpow5.jpg

15clfux.jpg

2zps2o9.jpg

abqz5h.jpg

When you completely screw in the handle the razor shows level 1. You can adjust the level of aggressiveness up to level 8. It is actually possible to make a second turn to go further to 16 in total. I went as far as 13 in total but after 8 the razor just gets more aggressive but not necessarily more effective. Using the second turn will make it only more dangerous. So just stick with the first round and don't make a second turn.

In level 8 I got a cleaner shave than Merkur Futur. This is something really rare for me. Only thing that would give me a closer shave before was a Feather AC SS shavette loaded with Feather Pro blades. This razor is not only effective but really forgiving. I didn't have any nicks even in the most aggressive settings. It is definitely beyond my expectancies.

I made some improvement suggestions though:

- Removing the B&R on the topcap or using the nice small font version. (They said that they are planning to remove it.)
- Topcap and Baseplate must have a marking to indicate what sides need to match otherwise you don't reach to number 1 when you completely screw the handle.
- Maybe some colour might make the numbers look nicer.

As you can see I couldn't even offer a lot of change. It is just a wonderful razor. I really hope to get one.

1h8bb8.jpg

Hi All,

I was hoping to write a much detailed review but with the iPhone 7's launch the work is crazy and if I don't write this review now I guess I will never write it. So, if I pass some details please don't hesitate to ask questions. I will do my best to answer.

de1o21.jpg

It is actually great to see two Turkish razor companies collaborating to make something so wonderful. I had chance to try this beautiful razor for a week. I even found some excuses and kept it two extra days before passing it to the next tester. It is great to finally have a completely stainless steel adjustable in the market. I hope other producers will follow. Some people might know that my favourite DE razor is Merkur Futur. If I had to choose one razor for the rest of my life that would be my razor of choice. I have to admit that, for the first time in my life there is a razor that I like more than Merkur Futur. I just hope it will not tire my wallet too much when they announce the price. :)

3ykxe.jpg

Razor is made of three pieces: Baseplate, Topcap and Handle. If you tear apart the Baseplate you get four pieces: base piece, top piece, spring and a screw. It is really a simple but clever design. When you load the blade and screw the handle into the head spring tension allows you to adjust the blade angle. It is a wonderful design really. Since the handle can be removed 3rd party producers can make different handles and offer them for B&R Adjustable razors. Unfortunately usual DE handles will fit in but leave the razor in most aggressive setting.

11lpow5.jpg

15clfux.jpg

2zps2o9.jpg

abqz5h.jpg

When you completely screw in the handle the razor shows level 1. You can adjust the level of aggressiveness up to level 8. It is actually possible to make a second turn to go further to 16 in total. I went as far as 13 in total but after 8 the razor just gets more aggressive but not necessarily more effective. Using the second turn will make it only more dangerous. So just stick with the first round and don't make a second turn.

In level 8 I got a cleaner shave than Merkur Futur. This is something really rare for me. Only thing that would give me a closer shave before was a Feather AC SS shavette loaded with Feather Pro blades. This razor is not only effective but really forgiving. I didn't have any nicks even in the most aggressive settings. It is definitely beyond my expectancies.

I made some improvement suggestions though:

- Removing the B&R on the topcap or using the nice small font version. (They said that they are planning to remove it.)
- Topcap and Baseplate must have a marking to indicate what sides need to match otherwise you don't reach to number 1 when you completely screw the handle.
- Maybe some colour might make the numbers look nicer.

As you can see I couldn't even offer a lot of change. It is just a wonderful razor. I really hope to get one.

1h8bb8.jpg

Great write-up.
I'm absolutely queuing up for one :)
Oh and thanks for suggesting the removal of the big writing on the top-cap - I've always disliked writing/logos there :)

I'm waiting until the price is announced, but I'm kidding myself it'll be out of my price bracket :oops:
I'm saving as we speak, this looks like it's going to be a game changer...first SS adjustable with killer looks and with the cap logo removed just perfect, I'm with DB as far as big logos go, don't like them. The suspense is killing me!

Back
Top Bottom