Barber Shave

I have had five barber shaves, most have been disapointing. Last summer I treated myself to a barber shave at a barbers in Hadleigh. It was a great experience, I combined two services a haircut, neck shave, shampoo and friction (head massage) with a shave that including a facial scrub, hot towels and possible face massage. Luckily, this was done by a female barber. They used premium products from êShave and Proraso including preshave with a Feather Artist Club. My experiences in my home town have been with Turkish Barbers, these were less expensive but far less time with Arko and standard DE shavette. These have caused irritation. My experiences in Holland was just as bad, a DE shavette with De Vergulde Hand soap. A soap I find very drying.

I really feel like treated myself again. I will try and find another premium service. What are your experiences like? Are you comfortable with facial massaging from your barber?

I found this interesting, a female did the touchy feely stuff, whilst the man shaved. She can shave as in a later video she is shaving the guys head.

Last edited:
I've only ever had two barber shaves. Bearing in mind I also shave my head, both times I came away thinking I could have done a better job myself. The first was a barber in Northfleet who did a 'do the job and take the money' shave. The second was a Turkish barber in Dartford. Whilst the shave quality wasn't brilliant he did give me the hot towel and head massage treatment which was rather good. This was on my wedding day. In hindsight, I wish I had stayed in there a lot longer.

I've never had a barber shave but my brother had one and he said he could have done a better job himself and to be frank I can't see how a barber can give me a better shave than I can do myself but I suppose if you find a good barber who can give a quality shave with all the extras it may be a nice treat to let someone to do it for you while you relax, nothing wrong with a bit of self indulgent pampering. P.

I've never had a barber shave but my brother had one and he said he could have done a better job himself and to be frank I can't see how a barber can give me a better shave than I can do myself but I suppose if you find a good barber who can give a quality shave with all the extras it may be a nice treat to let someone to do it for you while you relax, nothing wrong with a bit of self indulgent pampering. P.
That's exactly what it is - a real treat. I've had quite a few shaves with a barber. On occasion he has left some stubble. However, I wrote it off as the whole experience was just a fantastic.

That's exactly what it is - a real treat. I've had quite a few shaves with a barber. On occasion he has left some stubble. However, I wrote it off as the whole experience was just a fantastic.
I really fancy having a luxury shave at Jermyn Street Barbers at TOBS just to say I've done it. OK, £55 for a shave is possibly a bit excessive (and that probably doesn't include the head) but hell to it, its the experience as you say.

I used to do it but i don't anymore.
There is always a crowd waiting at my barbers so he's rushing and doesn't leave my face 100% clean shaven as i can do it myself. Last time i saw him doing a shave with only thich layer of proraso preshave applied. No lather?!? No thanks....

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

I don't think it worths having a barber shave especially for us wet shavers, because we can do a much better job and how much is a barber shave? say average £10 to £15, that money can be spend on to try a new product ;)

Back
Top Bottom