Barbershop Bay Rum Aftershave

Even better, I was out on my motorcycle this afternoon (lovely ride out around Ludlow) and when I was riding around the lanes, stopping in the villages, I'd get bthis lovely subtle waft of Bay Rum AS inside my full-face helmet.

Well, I decided to give this a try after reading you lot raving about it. My previous experience with aftershave splashes is limited to Boots Freshwood. From the time I started shaving until earlier this year (13 or so years) I never used AS as I thought it would be better to use balm.:icon_rolleyes: Anyway, the Freshwood is nice, but it does sting quite a bit, especially if my shave has been less than perfect for whatever reason, and, whilst I enjoy the scent, it fades quickly.:icon_sad:

Anyway, I've just used Steve's Bay Rum for the first time after shaving, so I thought I'd add my thoughts.

Scent: Very nice indeed.:) As someone who avoids spicy foods, my ability to identify the various spices as they reveal themselves is limited, but the effect is warm, piquant and interesting. The main aroma other than the spices and bay to my nose is a full-bodied vanilla with a darker undertone along the lines of muscovado sugar. There are also hints of citrus around as well to cut through the sweetness. Overall, sweet but not cloying, spicy and very enjoyable.

Longevity: I'm sitting here around 20-25 minutes after applying it and I can still smell it, albeit faintly (I have an acute sense of smell but seem to catch aromas in the air around me rather than from my own face, if that makes any sense). In comparison, I can't smell the Boots stuff for more than a couple of minutes after application.

Skincare: I deliberately used a little less than I do the Boots (aided by the dropper which is much better than the oversized hole in the top of the Boots bottle which seems to deliver too much unless you're really careful), and it seemed slightly denser than I'm used to. I also didn't apply any balm after the Bay Rum as I usually do with the Boots, in order to see how my face responded. It went on easily and rapidly, and didn't sting at all, which was most impressive. It's left my skin feeling smoother and moister (but not at all oily or greasy) than I'm used to without balm, and I really don't think I'd need to use balm at all with this other than in very cold weather.

Overall: Very nice - I'm now looking for suggestions of something with similar texture, lack of burn and longevity in a lighter scent for this time of year, if I decide that the Bay Rum is too heavy for the warmer weather. I'll definitely be ordering some more at a later date when Steve releases his next batch!:cool::)

chrisbell said:
Well, I decided to give this a try after reading you lot raving about it. My previous experience with aftershave splashes is limited to Boots Freshwood. From the time I started shaving until earlier this year (13 or so years) I never used AS as I thought it would be better to use balm.:icon_rolleyes: Anyway, the Freshwood is nice, but it does sting quite a bit, especially if my shave has been less than perfect for whatever reason, and, whilst I enjoy the scent, it fades quickly.:icon_sad:

Anyway, I've just used Steve's Bay Rum for the first time after shaving, so I thought I'd add my thoughts.

Scent: Very nice indeed.:) As someone who avoids spicy foods, my ability to identify the various spices as they reveal themselves is limited, but the effect is warm, piquant and interesting. The main aroma other than the spices and bay to my nose is a full-bodied vanilla with a darker undertone along the lines of muscovado sugar. There are also hints of citrus around as well to cut through the sweetness. Overall, sweet but not cloying, spicy and very enjoyable.

Longevity: I'm sitting here around 20-25 minutes after applying it and I can still smell it, albeit faintly (I have an acute sense of smell but seem to catch aromas in the air around me rather than from my own face, if that makes any sense). In comparison, I can't smell the Boots stuff for more than a couple of minutes after application.

Skincare: I deliberately used a little less than I do the Boots (aided by the dropper which is much better than the oversized hole in the top of the Boots bottle which seems to deliver too much unless you're really careful), and it seemed slightly denser than I'm used to. I also didn't apply any balm after the Bay Rum as I usually do with the Boots, in order to see how my face responded. It went on easily and rapidly, and didn't sting at all, which was most impressive. It's left my skin feeling smoother and moister (but not at all oily or greasy) than I'm used to without balm, and I really don't think I'd need to use balm at all with this other than in very cold weather.

Overall: Very nice - I'm now looking for suggestions of something with similar texture, lack of burn and longevity in a lighter scent for this time of year, if I decide that the Bay Rum is too heavy for the warmer weather. I'll definitely be ordering some more at a later date when Steve releases his next batch!:cool::)

Thanks very much, always nice to get feedback from my customers, talking of a lighter scent, i am currently brewing up a Bay Rum with Citrus, Lime and Lemon, and it does smell really nice, still has a couple of weeks to mature but i will be sending out some small 5ml Sample bottles like i did before i launched my standard Bay Rum Formula, will announce more nearer the day !

Cheers

Steve :icon_razz:

sunburyboy93 said:
Thanks very much, always nice to get feedback from my customers, talking of a lighter scent, i am currently brewing up a Bay Rum with Citrus, Lime and Lemon, and it does smell really nice, still has a couple of weeks to mature but i will be sending out some small 5ml Sample bottles like i did before i launched my standard Bay Rum Formula, will announce more nearer the day !

Cheers

Steve :icon_razz:

Unfortunately, my experience with a tub of TOBS lemon and lime shaving cream shows me that one or the other seriously irritates my skin.:icon_cry2:

Just like to say I've just today received my Lime soap and Bay Rum.

The lime soap has been melted into the bowl and is sitting waiting for my next shave. The Bay Rum I've given a splash.

I've never used a Bay Rum before so I've nothing to compare it to but it's got an incredibly strong cinnamon/clove scent. I do like it but I'm not sure how appropriate it is when it's not Christmas :D

I'll definitely give it a go for a few days and see how it goes. The rest of my splash den is Old Spice and Davidoff Adventure so they're all from the same stable. I'll report back what other people think!

With exceptional customer service, Steve arranged for Postman Pat to deliver my very well wrapped package containing Barbershop Bay Rum Aftershave just as I was finishing my shave, so I got to put it to use right away.

Not much to add to the ringing endorsements here already. Lovely stuff.

Also included was a sample of Steve's Lime Bay Rum AS. This has a lighter citrusey note to it and is also very nice. Very handy size for travel too. :icon_cheesygrin:

Back
Top Bottom