Barbus shaving soap/cream

This is a shaving soap/cream available in the Czech Republic and Slovakia.

http://www.demiclen.cz/en/panska/barbus-penivy-krem-v-kelimku.html

DSC_0670.jpg

DSC_0672.jpg

A translation of the text on the front of the tub:
Foamy shaving cream is suitable for all skin types. Contains glycerine, which smooths and softens the skin.

I received a sample of this last year from Scorpio and really liked it but due to having too many soaps and creams already I didn't follow up and purchase any. Recently Laci (lac1) sent me a tub as part of a trade and I've used it on and off for the last few weeks.

This cream has a texture different to any other soap or cream that I have come across. It's like a very sticky putty not dissimilar to what a bread dough is like before it's been kneaded and proved, sounds strange but that's what it reminds me of. It has a very clean soapy scent, maybe slightly herbal/medicinal.

Due to the texture of the cream it lends itself to lathering in one of two ways. You can either treat it how you would a hard soap (swirl a slightly damp brush over the top of it and then either bowl/face or palm lather) or you can pinch a bit out and smear it around the bottom of a shave bowl and build the lather in the bowl. Due to it being so sticky and putty like it doesn't lend itself to other approaches that you may traditionally take with a cream, such as smearing it on your face or placing a blob in the breach of the brush. The lather is generated very easily and it produces a nice thick, slick, protective lather which is very stable. This produces probably the slickest lather of any soap or cream that I have tried. The skin properties seem good, it doesn't dry my skin out or cause any irritation and my face is left feeling smooth and soft after using it.

If you can get hold of this soap it is well worth giving it a try. I really like it and had planned on using it pretty much exclusively for a few weeks but that was before the Martin de Candre turned up. I believe this is readily available in drug-stores in the Czech Republic and is very cheap (a few pounds). Laci informed me that it is also available in tubes but I don't know if it is exactly the same product in the tubes.

This is a very good product and shows that you don't have to spend a fortune to get a good product, it's just a shame that it isn't readily available over here.

Nice write up !! :) I should give this soap a try I think after reading this :D.

edit: How did you managed the translation ? ;)

Laci

Pig Cat said:
James_uk said:
I bet it's a lot of soap for 40 odd grand :shock:

What? Where did you get that figure from? :?

It's 10k more with vat included :? <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.demiclen.cz/en/panska/barbus-penivy-krem-v-kelimku.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.demiclen.cz/en/panska/barbus ... limku.html</a><!-- m --> :shock:

Should have written that review myself as Laci recommended I get a tub when I visited the Czech republic earlier this month. It was commonly available at the supermarkets, I think I got it from a Cilla just across from the office in Prague. The price is indeed very good.

I do agree with Yellow Jim and pugh - I quite like it. Since I've had a bad case of SSAD/SCAD I've not given it all the time it deserves. I did use it twice while in CZ and a couple of times since returning home, and I can commend it.

My preference is to handle it just like I do with my ProRaso white tub - swirl a wet brush and bowl lather. I'm not much of a face latherer anyway. It has a very clean scent indeed which I much prefer over the ProRaso white, and it works well for having an unscented ASB afterwards, before applying the fragrance of the day. For me, once I've run through my current tub (in say a few years time :roll: ), I will be restocking.

I'm just debating which of my soaps/creams is the better value - the Palmolive stick/tube at < EUR 1 or the Barbus at about EUR2, but I'm inclined to say that this is probably the best value for money soap I have.

As always, YMMV.

/m

I also got a tub from Laci, I agree with Jim it is a good soap. Produces good stable lather nice scent and leves my skin feeling good after the shave. If you get the chance to try this one out give it a go.........

Big.Dave said:
I have just been to Prague and came back with a Tub of this and the tube version a well haven't tried it yet but am looking forward to it when I do.

I have used the Tube Cream and it makes a good slick lather which makes for a comfortable shave. the scent is very slight and has a chalky smell so it will not clash with your after shave or cologne.

I'm very happy with this cream.

I will post when I get round to using the tub soap.

Back
Top Bottom