Been gifted a Gillette TTO

Thanks guys,
OK, I did the hot water trick (and yes...I only had WD40 to use).
I did redeem myself by finding my '3-in-1' oil though.
Put a wee drop into the top and let it drip through overnight.
Lovely! Smooth as silk to open and close now.
The photo I used shows the razor before cleaning. It now has a much better shine.
Sad story is that there were some 'yucky' looking bits of corrosion on the safety bars and after the hot water bath the corrosion was gone, but some of the plating (Nickel?) had gone too in that area.
The razor had been unused for years before I was given it, so the corrosion has eaten away the plating.
Yeah, I could use it as is but NO, not for me.
I can replate (Dave...the razor restorer guy now lives in New Zealand), but I can buy a good condition Rocket or Aristocrat on the evilbay site just as quickly.
I will make up a For Sale list soon of a few of my old Gillettes (2 of my Techs have their original leather cases with accessories complete), and bung the lot on here for you folk to pick over.
The Rocket will be one of the offerings just in case someone really wants one. All the other plating on it is fine, just a tad or two missing along both safety bars.
Quietly thinking about listing my 1961 Gillette Executive Fatboy too. It's lovely, with only slight Gold loss and shaves like a dream.
I guess that someone will want that?

Well, well....I never knew that. Always use it to free up sticky nuts and bolts etc, so just assumed it was a lubricant as well!
Rather strangely they got the formulation right on the 39th attempt but WD39 didn't have as good a ring to it so they rounded it up! It's, as mentioned earlier, along the lines of penetrating oil, i.e. Light oil(s) and solvents which repel water so driving it away from a particular area!

Back
Top Bottom