Best and worse blades you've used?

Gairdner said:
These are the only Perma-Sharp blades I can find. Made in Russia but often sold in Turkey, I believe. Good, eh? Must try the Voskhods as well. G-G-G-Granville likes He-Ho-Ha-Hunga-garian blades the best. ;)

Yes, they're the ones, cheers Graeme. Apologie for my misleading referenceto "Turkish" blades - I bought them from a Turkish ebay seller and momentarily forgot they were Russian.:blush:

SmallBeard said:
Gairdner said:
SmallBeard said:
I quite fancy the Rapiras, seen them cheap on eBay too, not sure what ones they are though. I've heard good things about them though!

Thanks for all your replies.

These are the 'Swedes' and the seller is great to do business with.

Here are the Super Stainless which are also good as is the seller from whom I have purchased several times although I note is away till 15Feb13.

The Swedes are excellent (no not you Mikael!) :icon_lol:

The stainless were the ones I'd seen, but I'll probably try both out at some point now as I hadn't come across the others before. Thanks very much!

The Rapira Super Stainless are £4.30 for 100 on Bestshave.net, they also sell the Perma-sharps people like for £13.35. $50 spend for free delivery.

I'd get one of the russian blade sample pack from ebay first though and see which you like the best. other than the Gillette Rubie & Rapira Lux which both gave me irritation, all the other blades are good. Clicky

NotTheStig said:
What a bar steward!
I wouldn't listen to him - some self-appointed "expert" with nothing better to do :-D

I've ordered some Rainbow super stainless as part of a small order for my birthday (a few weeks premature but I have man flu and this cheered me up). I am trying to buy no shaving stuff all year except for birthday and xmas you see - I need to get though the 60+ lines of soaps and creams and 3,500 DE blades I have - they take up enough space!

I used all my box of Rainbow up - quite liked them but I found them very similar to Racer, for me, and Racer come in packs of 10 so take up less space. Same goes for Asco as well - I found these three blades very similar and were my three favourites from the Lord sampler I had. Nice balance between smoothness and sharpness for me and never caused me any problems

SmallBeard said:
I realise that certain blades perform differently in different razors, but what's the best blade that you've come across yet, and the worst blade? Based on just the smoothness and closeness of the first couple of shaves, and irritation afterwards.

I've so far used the following blades:

Derby Extra
Astra Superior Platinum
Dorco 300 (IIRC)
Personna Lab Blues

I received my sample pack from Connaught shaving yesterday, and I selected the blades based on the blade review spreadsheet on here (excellent resource, thanks very much NotTheStig) and I know that blades will work differently for me but as I have not very much experience, picked the best ones (at least I tried to) available in comparison to the reviews.

I received: Shark Super Stainless
Treet Platinum
Gillette Super Thin Platinum
Super-Max Platinum
Personna Platinum Chrome
Perma-Sharp Super Stainless
Personna Super Med Prep
Personna Super Lab Blue
Timor Stainless ice tempered

The lab blue which I've used from the sample pack has been the best blade I've used to date, and have a feeling that it will take some beating.

The worst blade I have used is the Dorco, which attempted to drag every hair out of my face, and subsequently they have not been used since. To be fair the Derby was a close contender due to the irritation it left afterwards, but the first time I used it I actually had a fairly decent shave, alas the second time, oh no...

What's been the best and worst for you?

I'm on the lookout for more blades, and need ideas and to also know what to avoid :D

Thanks!

Alex
Hi Alex,

My favorites in order are
Super iridium,Polsilver super iridium, Personna med,Feather, 7 o'clock yellow,Astra plats and Astra Keramik plats. And for some razors, i like Derby, Voskhod and Treet carbon.

Worst blades for me have been Dorco, Merkur and Gillette thins.

I thought they might be like Racers. I've always had good shaves out of them, although only used maybe three or four blades. Not BBS but sharp enough and smooth and easy to get the best out of it in different razors.

NotTheStig said:
What a bar steward!
I wouldn't listen to him - some self-appointed "expert" with nothing better to do :-D

I've ordered some Rainbow super stainless as part of a small order for my birthday (a few weeks premature but I have man flu and this cheered me up). I am trying to buy no shaving stuff all year except for birthday and xmas you see - I need to get though the 60+ lines of soaps and creams and 3,500 DE blades I have - they take up enough space!

The man has an iron will and the resolve of a monk. The collecting habit of a magpie an' all! :D :p

A few wee clicky clicks on the computer and the sound of a small parcel dropping onto the doormat a few days later don't half cheer me up too. Then SWMBO finds out and it's earache central. :icon_sad:

Northam Saint said:
Best

Personna Labs

Worse

Rapira

After trying just one, but it could be just a duff one, so I reserve the right to take it back.

Just wondered which Rapira blades you didn't like as there are different types (Stainless Steel, Platinum Lux, Swedish Supersteel)?

For me the best by a long chalk are Polsilver (out of those I've tried). Also good are Bolzano.

The two worst I've tried so far were Wilkinson Sword Economie and Vijay. They were both so bad I didn't even finish the first WTG pass with them.

Tall_Paul said:
For me the best by a long chalk are Polsilver (out of those I've tried). Also good are Bolzano.

The two worst I've tried so far were Wilkinson Sword Economie and Vijay. They were both so bad I didn't even finish the first WTG pass with them.

Are these the Wizamet Polsilver you like (NOS Polish blades) or the newer Russian-made Polsilver Super Iridium? I've only tried the Russian ones which are very good IMO.

These ones:

polsilver-blades__46050_zoom.jpg

I don't have overall favourites - it seems to depend on the razor, so:

Weber DLC - Supermax Blue Diamond. Smooth, sharp and lasts 5 shaves
Gillette SS Redtip - Astra SP or Gillette 7 OC Green (russian)
Gillette Goodwill - Rapira Stainless or Gillette 7OC Green (russian)
Merkur Slant - Rapira Stainless or Permasharp

Worst - by a long shot, Laser stainless and Treet Durasharp. Both gave scenes similar to the Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Ok, not really, but you get the idea...

Back
Top Bottom