Best and worse blades you've used?

Gillette Yellows are my all time favourites, although having fairly light bristle I can use most blades with good success, from sharp (Feathers) to no so sharp (Derbys).

The only blades that I couldn't get on with were Lords, which I gave to a pal who found them to be fine...........

It's strange isn't it. My beard too isn't all that tough, yet the Lord Super Chromes are up there with my favourite blades.

7 o clock yellows I couldn't get on with. I only had one shave with one, but it really put me off. I have read that after the first shave they improve, but after the first shave I wasn't happy so kind of gave up. I will retry in the future, but as I have found blades I'm happy with, I probably won't buy more brands. Lets see how long that lasts.....

Tried a Rapira Super Stainless Chrome yesterday and got a nasty looking slice. Upon inspection the blade was in razor and slid finger down the blade. Smooth on one side at different sections across the edge. The other side started smooth and about 1/3 across I could feel a very rough raised edge on the top of the blade's edge for the remaining 2/3 of the edge! Never experienced this before so straight in the bin it went never to be tried again! Only Swedish Rapira is the one I really was impressed by - smoothness and longevity.

Christ, that sounds awful. Is that the black n pink ones? I'll check mine before I load them now, but I haven't experienced anything like that yet. The Swedish are excellent, I need to order more!

SmallBeard said:
Christ, that sounds awful. Is that the black n pink ones? I'll check mine before I load them now, but I haven't experienced anything like that yet. The Swedish are excellent, I need to order more!

The tri-colour pack weren't too bad but if there's better...

These are the ones that I shall avoid ad infinitum and make Derby look like premium blades!

72101365.jpg

The Schick UP are excellent. Probably never find them again and I paid quite a lot of a NOS carton of 12x10 after shipping.

I love the original Gillette Bleue Extra in the plastic dispenser. I should use them more often in fact but I tend to forget I have them for soem reason (tucked away at the back of the shaving wardrobe).

Good question. I haven't been DE shaving very long. I've tried a few different types of blades:

Derby Extra - I didn't get much irritation afterwards, but the shave wasn't the closest I've had.
Feather Platinum - the Derby experience in reverse, very close shave but I got lots of nicks (it looked like a half hearted suicide attempt!:icon_razz:)
Gillette 7 o'clock - out of all the blades I've used, this one seems to get the balance of comfort and closeness best.
Astra Green - probably my favourite so far, I always get a great shave with these, I get a little irritation, but this is a little compromise for a bbs chin.

I have tried a few others, such as Shark and Treet but I honestly can't remember much about them.

I think I'll keep persevering with the Feathers though as I've heard so many good things about them- just need to get the will sorted first!

Hope this helps a little.

Chill Bill

Scottish Perma-Sharp are up there with the best I have tried. I am a few shaves with them now and I rate them above my previous favourite of Asra SP. Worst I have tried so far are the ones you get free with the Merkur razors, awful! I have a packet of Derbys here to try and according to some one here they might be the worst, but I shall reserve judgement till I try them myself

The blades that come with the boots double edged razor are truly atrocious.

I have one of Steves blade packs and am being very controlled and using the full packs before opening the next, so will be I while until I decide on the best!

Currently using the Astra super stainless (blue packet)

Before that had only used the boots things, the Wilkinson sword blades in the yellow packaging that my local Wilkinsons sells and the derby ones that came with my ej89.

Back
Top Bottom