Best newbie blade

At the ripe old age of 46 I've semi retired another in a long line of cartridge razors and got a Jagger 89L. It's a steep learning curve (razor rash, still stubble around Adams apple), and I still use the cartridge to finish up.

When I got my weapon of choice it came with a set of Derbys and a box of Feathers. I tried the feathers first and was OK with them. Then I read that these were supersharp and not ideal for learning with. So I switched to the Derbys and ended up having a terrible shave in comparison. Is there a recommended newbie blade?

Thanks in advance

MisterG

Go to the Connaught Shaving website and order a blade sample pack. Work your way through them, using-up each different type of blade before switching to another, keeping all other variables (razor, soap/cream etc.) as consistent as possible. What works well for one person will be awful for someone else, and vice versa. Generally speaking, you want moderate-good sharpness and excellent smoothness of shave. On that basis, types to try early on might include Shark, Gillette 7 o'clock, SuperMax and, possibly, Permasharps.

chrisbell said:
Go to the Connaught Shaving website and order a blade sample pack. Work your way through them, using-up each different type of blade before switching to another, keeping all other variables (razor, soap/cream etc.) as consistent as possible. What works well for one person will be awful for someone else, and vice versa. Generally speaking, you want moderate-good sharpness and excellent smoothness of shave. On that basis, types to try early on might include Shark, Gillette 7 o'clock, SuperMax and, possibly, Permasharps.

+1. Sample packs are great, I started with one from Paul too.

Hi MisterG,
You seem to have followed a similar path as me. It took me way too long to realise the sharp blade first had compensated for my not having found a good technique. I was convinced this wasn't the case! Gillette thrive on promises that a new product will deliver.
Take the technique advice here - using your cartridge, then take twice as long to prepare before using your DE. You haven't mentioned your technique or time taken at all. Here in TSR we mostly realise it's not what you got, but using (and playing with) it that gives you pleasure!
Love'n'joy
Lloyd

MisterG said:
When I got my weapon of choice it came with a set of Derbys and a box of Feathers. I tried the feathers first and was OK with them. Then I read that these were supersharp and not ideal for learning with. So I switched to the Derbys and ended up having a terrible shave in comparison. Is there a recommended newbie blade?

Thanks in advance

MisterG

Hi G (may I call you G since some of us are on first initial basis?),

Well the Feather's a bad one to start with and the Derby gets mixed reviews. That means some people love the Derby but some don't. Who knows, they may be a good blade for you but you wouldn't know it anyway. The Feather isn't really part of the mainstream types of blades being sold...it's sharper and acts differently than other blades. It's also very unforgiving, which ain't so hot for a new guy. I'd go with the Derbys between the two choices till the sample pack gets there.

Matter of fact, if you wanna do things right, stick with that Derby blade for one week more. By that time you'll have started to get a feel for technique....all of it including the prep on down. Doesn't matter if the blades a good fit or not, since your shaves are gonna be mediocre at best.

The next blade you sample, I'll bet you notice a difference between that and the Derby. No idea which one's gonna be better, but that how you find the right blade. Heh, yep, plenty of trial and error.

If I was gonna start from scratch using a DE razor, I'd pick either the Red Personna or the Crystal (also known as the IP, or Israeli Personna). Both are mild blades that are still capable of providing a good shave, plus they give the shaver a bit more warning before something goes south.

I'd probably use a mild blade for three weeks or so and then maybe go for something sharper. The Feather would be used only after trying a bunch of other blades and when my technique was good.

M

I think Gillette 7 o'clock (particularly yellow Sharpedge and green Superstainless) are some of the ideal blades (good quality, always fairly sharp, always fairly smooth) but you've done the right thing by getting a sampler as blades are one of those dividing issues.

Another +1 for the Connaught sampler. I also bought a DE89 and have been using it daily for a couple of months now. The supplied Derbys were like flaying my face with a rake but I've also tried Tesco (i.e. Personna), Gillette 365, Green and Yellow: these have all been reasonable for me but the Yellow is my favourite so far...

_

I really like the Wilkinson Sword blades as a reasonably forgiving blade - its about the only blade i have never nicked myself with - admitedly i have only been DE shaving for a couple of months

Johnus said:
No problems with the Derbys in my '04's . RBFRR*

*real blades for real razors!!!:)-)

What's doin buddy,

Man, I get a kick outta you. I enjoy reading about stuff that's totally foreign to me, your extreme pleasure using aggressive razors being one of em. I just cannot understand that whole thing. Hah, if I hadda learn to DE shave with an Old Type razor, it woulda been very gruesome. Whew momma!

I will try a Derby sometime soon, especially since my Secret Santa gifted me with a 'few blades'.....heh. I'm not optimistic, and your track record with me and you agreeing on stuff ain't so hot. Still, you never know and I might like the things.

Thanks for the amusing and fiction like posts of yours,

Martin

Wow, I can't believe you haven't tried a Derby, Martin! I started out on these. I would look out for the irritation that you might get after maybe the first shave. I don't think the honing is the best on these and the five or six coatings doesn't really help for me at least.

NotTheStig said:
Wow, I can't believe you haven't tried a Derby, Martin! I started out on these.

What's doin NTS,

I meant to say I'd revisit the Derby sometime soon. Yeah, I'd actually tried em years ago as one of the first blades on my convoluted journey, but I can't remember how they shaved. Heh, my technique has improved considerably since then.

Guess we'll see what happens down the road.

Martin

60eec297-f66a-b8ca.jpg
60eec297-f623-ffab.jpg
60eec297-f5f0-a172.jpg
60eec297-f5b9-a70d.jpg
Here's one that you probably used in your youth! A mild one if there ever was! :
1933 Schick Repeater

Photos:

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1326380224.076352.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1326380224.076352.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 0
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1326380256.805937.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1326380256.805937.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 0
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1326380321.988591.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1326380321.988591.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 0