Best scented, good soap

Hi guys,

Since getting back into the whole shaving I've had a bit more cash to spend than before, so I'm wondering...

Is there a really good, perhaps special soap that you use on special occasions? I've seen a few uses of floris, and penhaligon's etc and other fancy products on sotd and I'm wondering just how good they are. Is it all about scent, a good overall product, or just the name you pay for ?

Regards

Dan

Czech & Speake #88

D R Harris Almond

Acqua Di Parma Colonia

All worth every single penny of their cost for performance AND scent

So three out of three recommending a c&s already!

Not sure almond would appeal to me, afraid of it being a bit marzipan like...

Not heard of adp, I'll have to research.

I'll have to look at mdc as I've only really read reviews of an unscented version.

Great suggestions so far

dantheman said:
Not sure almond would appeal to me, afraid of it being a bit marzipan like...

No marzipan. I hate marzipan and therefore ALL almond creams.

The D R Harris SOAP name is from the Almond Oil used, not the scent.

It actually smells 'Earthy'.

Tcheon fung Sing Bergamot & Neroli a fantastic scent, but I am a fan of Bergamot & Neroli scents, I also love the smell of almonds Boellis Panama 1924 is another rich Italian Artisan barbers soap but also contains natural Almond oil and doesn't smell like Cella more natural.

I bought a puck of C&S no. 88 and wasn't overly impressed with the scent or performance. The clay undertones didn't do it for me. Recently got some Wickham soap and I'm really liking that. It was club cola so probably not what your after but the performance is probably the best I've tried so far.

Lb1 said:
I bought a puck of C&S no. 88 and wasn't overly impressed with the scent or performance. The clay undertones didn't do it for me.

Heh, just to show we all have different druthers, I thought the C&S #88 soap was a top performer....just a little better than most other excellent soaps. Really easy to lather and the cushion/glide was very very good. My only problem was the scent just didn't grab me. I agree with you about the slight clay note, but also that dirty rose attempt didn't hit the mark for me.

Too bad, since it would been a nice addition to the rotation.

Martin

Jabonman 'Wet Earth,' MdC and I Coloniali Mango Oil are my current favourites for scent plus performance - although scent wise, they're not to everyone's taste.
I like the scent of L'Occitane Cade and D R Harris Windsor - although lately I've found the Windsor a bit harsh on my face/neck.
Best performer for me at the mo - super lather - Valobra stick (grated) run with Wickham Super Smooth (English Lavender). Unbelievably close, irritation free shaves and you can buy the stick for less than £6!

I've read a few reviews on most of the above now.

This is difficult as I don't particularly like the old barbershop smell... I don't like the smell of locitane cade either tbh!

The only others I've ever used are a million palmolive sticks and tobs jermyne st. I loved the scent of the tobs. I like palmolive scent but it's the performance that I love.

The edts I use are d&g the one and Issey miyake leau de Issey. Any chance of finding something similar? I'd love to have complimenting scents.

Thanks for all the help, much appreciated. :)

Back
Top Bottom