Best Shaving Creams?

Greetings
There are as many answers and suggestions to this question as there are wet shavers. Of the readily and fairly readily available creams I rate Speick right at the very top, it does have a scent ,albeit it is an unusual one, the lather builds really easily even in hard water and it has plenty of slip/glide and leaves a good post shave feel, the soap (stick) is even better!

Regards
Dick.

I will have to have a really good try at all your recommendations. I DO like an aromatic that lathers really well as I am still using my 1908 Gillette DE razor which I love.
Trumper's violet, must try that!
All in all, I think that avoiding the cheap creams at just over a £1 is perhaps the way to go. Its the old adage, "you get what you pay for".
With all your replies I can see that there is much to try out, and as I thought I was stuck on my usual cream because "its aye been", there is a whole array of possibilities.

I love my Ingram Quality Lather Shave and couldn't disagree with you more, Billy. Yep there's been quality issues with some watery tubes in the past but they still lathered up ok. I've used loads of this stuff over the last three years - more than any other shaving medium and if I could only have one shaving cream or soap, I'd pick this over everything. Every tube I've had since the issues were first reported have been fine and when I bought 7 tubes of the watery stuff, Lornamead apologised profusely and sent me ten replacements. Granted, I have to use more product than some other creams but nothing works so well for me and being high street available locally is a huge bonus plus it is made in the UK. British jobs.
If something is made in Britain I usually avoid it like the Plague Sir...:p:D:p

Billy

Just spoke with a customer who used to use many different products as we do but for the last 30 years, has only used Palmolive cream (tube). Seems happy enough.

I love my Ingram Quality Lather Shave and couldn't disagree with you more, Billy. Yep there's been quality issues with some watery tubes in the past but they still lathered up ok. I've used loads of this stuff over the last three years - more than any other shaving medium and if I could only have one shaving cream or soap, I'd pick this over everything. Every tube I've had since the issues were first reported have been fine and when I bought 7 tubes of the watery stuff, Lornamead apologised profusely and sent me ten replacements. Granted, I have to use more product than some other creams but nothing works so well for me and being high street available locally is a huge bonus plus it is made in the UK. British jobs.

I can only concur wholeheartedly. Us Ingramophiles got to stick together.

Body Shop Maca root & St. James of London - not heard of those either!
It seems that a closer study is needed. Got to try those. Are they expensive or about the same as TOBS?

Most creams are good, easier to lather then soaps, even the inexpensive ones available at supermarkets and budget shops, for example: Palmolive, supermax, etc.. especially if you are not fussy about the scent like Body shops macca root. So its much easier to point out the bad performing creams and I can't think of any. I would say avoid Wilkinson Sword's blue tub soap but its a hard soap so a different subject. You will find some of the creams just lather much better but again even the cheap ones will do the job sufficiently.
Also generally speaking you will find that if a cream labelled as 'Sensitive' it will be weak/weaker in scent.

I find eShave creams are fantastic performers and good value for money,yes they may look pricey but you only need a small amount on your brush or in your bowl to make a fantastic creamy lather.
If you keep an eye on the mankind website they occasionally do offers for it.

Dave.

Thank you for all the feedback, there are plenty to go for, and try out.
I am even considering perhaps using an old Victorian shaving mug I have and getting a refill cream/soap, but maybe that is going too far!

Back
Top Bottom