Best soap or cream for travel

Just back from 10 days in Ibiza with disappointing shaves throughout. Prep, razor, blade and brush have been fine in the UK and the soap I was using (Edwin Jagger Sea Buckthorn) works fine at home. Even in Ibiza the lather seemed fine but despite great care and attention to technique I couldn't get a decent irritation free shave.

I'm presuming that something about the water/soap combination may have been the problem as the water was the only variable so any suggestions for a reliable soap and cream for travel or any other tips?

I'm off for Morocco this coming Saturday and decided to go low-end... Gillette Blue & will use facial soap... or maybe not, but I don't wanna lose any of my razors for some stubborn idiot at the airport security claiming they are weapons...

A tube of TOBS cream isn't too dear for a premium product, it performs very well and it's a nice size.

Environment might be the issue though, if you're getting decent lather then the water shouldn't be a problem. Shaving in very different climates does produce some erratic results... some people's skin doesn't take well to big changes in temp and humidity. There may be not a lot you can do about it.

On business trips in Morocco, Portugal and Spain recently I used cooler water just because it felt nicer. Didn't have any problems... setup was TOBS lavender cream, Gillette 7 o'clocks and Barbershop bay rum, sometimes a dash of T+H pre shave oil while I showered. I did need a touch of moisturiser too, my skin dried out a little. Pre shave oil doesn't have many fans here but I like it.

I use Men-U shave cream because of the handy packaging. It's a small hard plastic bottle with pump. I used it in Spain a couple of weeks ago, and it performed well. It is a nice fresh cream.

A couple of squirts onto a badger brush and straight onto my face. I like the badger for travel as it's quick drying and lathers up the cream well.

Razor? Well its as the mood takes me. If it's a DE, then the Wilkinson Sword Classic is pretty fool proof. Sometimes I take a Gillette Sensor, but just now am using single blade disposables.

For AS, I use cold water then moisturiser.

ARKO stick - works everywhere, no matter the water. Was it only a year ago, hmm, anyway: last year I was on a lime stone island and I had problems using Palmolive (the water is unbelivable hard there). To be fair I didn´t have any ARKO with me, but I think it lathers more easy than Palmolive.

Or as PC wrote MdC ;)

If I'm traveling for a few days, i just take TOBS st James collection shave stick which works well. When I was away for longer I took bluebeards revenge and Nannys Citrus Zinger. Bluebeards worked great.

i typically take a tube of ingrams... i find it lathers better than palmolive, has an inoffensive smell that wears off very quickly and gives me a good shave. Its a handy size, cheap and decent performance.

Back
Top Bottom