Best way to store ground coffee

Stockpile it in unopened bags in the freezer. Keep stuff you are using in an airtight box with a bag of silica gel in the fridge.
I keep my beans in the freezer and only take out what I think I will need for the week, grind it up and transfer to the fridge.

Storing it inside whole beans is definately the best option. After that, the best way is not to store - buy it as you go. Do not open bags until required. Fridge and freezer storage is a matter of choice but makes no difference.

But a grinder and in a manly yet loving, tender voice, full of authorirty, tell her to shift her stuff around to make room fior it. Take her a cup in bed. She'll be on side in a sip.

If you can't get away with a full on burr grinder buy a porlex hand grinder. Much better than pre ground. I wouldn't store coffee in the fridge or freezer. Coffee hates moisture and fridges are damp places. Air tight box/bag is usually what I go for. The coffee I get usually comes in a re sealable bag with a one way valve. Keep the bag somewhere cool and away from strong smells.

This may sound like a heathens suggestion, but I am at the other end of the coffee spectrum, ie I'm not really a coffee drinker. But I have Lavazza ground coffee for use in my Bialletti and I store it in an old Nescafe Gold Blend jar. I can't tell any difference from the first day its opened to the few weeks later. Its kept in the cupboard.
I can imagine this has many coffee fans shaking their heads, but it works for me.

Baliday is actually right, ground coffee can't deteriorate much further so it doesn't really matter how you store it.

The biggest improvement you can make flavour wise is freshly grinding beans and that's what most of the contributors to this thread are recommending, even if it is with a cheap bladed mill it'll be a vast improvement on ready ground and beans are easier to store without too much degradation.

It's very difficult to keep fresh. The best way to keep it fresh is to buy it from a local roaster and ask what day he roasted. Not many people have drunk coffee that is roasted on the same day but I can assure you it's far better than anything you would have tried before. Some of the supermarket coffees have been roasted over a year ago so trying to keep it fresh would be impossible. If you do buy from a supermarket buy whole bean not pre ground as you have a better chance of it tasting good. I've worked in the coffee business for 23 years so I hope this answer helps.

Drinking coffee on the day it's roasted is not a good idea - it needs to rest an de-gas for at least 2-3 days.

Storage - freeze it. The oils solidify and preserve a good proportion of the taste. The fridge will dry it out - only good then for repelling slugs.

Man up - get a grinder!!

I keep mine in an illy jar I have had for a while. I also recommend a grinder - I have a delonghi burr model and its not very big. Makes a heck of a difference plus you can grind to taste either as course or as fine as you like (so adjusting the extraction time).

Back
Top Bottom