Better shave with two days' growth?

Since I stared DE shaving two weeks ago, I haven't missed a day yet. Before that though, with cartridges, I would always get a much better shave if I skipped a day and had two day's growth.

Two days' stubble is definitely quite a lot on me, I look like I've been sleeping on the streets and it ruins my shirt collars, so it's not a case of not having enough to shave off after just one day.

By better, I mean quicker, more comfortable and much closer. It is such a dramatic difference that if I were going somewhere special, I would try to not shave the day before in order to get the better shave when I wanted it.

Is it just me?

I haven't wanted to skip a DE day yet, I actually look forward to shaving at the moment. At some point though I'll have to try it, just to see if it's still the case that the shave is better.

FoxyRick said:
Since I stared DE shaving two weeks ago, I haven't missed a day yet. Before that though, with cartridges, I would always get a much better shave if I skipped a day and had two day's growth.

Two days' stubble is definitely quite a lot on me, I look like I've been sleeping on the streets and it ruins my shirt collars, so it's not a case of not having enough to shave off after just one day.

By better, I mean quicker, more comfortable and much closer. It is such a dramatic difference that if I were going somewhere special, I would try to not shave the day before in order to get the better shave when I wanted it.

Is it just me?

I haven't wanted to skip a DE day yet, I actually look forward to shaving at the moment. At some point though I'll have to try it, just to see if it's still the case that the shave is better.

No - exactly the same for me. I always put it down to having skin that was too sensitive to shave every day and the day's recovery was required for a comfortable shave. DE shaving has been the only thing that's permitted me to shave every day and I went 3 months without missing a day. I've lapsed somewhat since then, but still shave 5 times a week.

It's not just you.

I shave every 2 days as I have pretty slow growth, but I go from Thursday to Sunday without shaving, and the Sunday shave is always much better for me too.

Maybe there's others? I'll be interested to read how this goes.

Same here - two days or more is always better for me. By better I mean more comfortable, and I seem to get a closer shave. I don't know why.

Having said that - in the last 6 weeks since I've been DE shaving properly, I've only missed a day!

I find that shaving with two days growth is a much more pleasant experience than shaving everyday. The day recovery makes a considerable difference to me, I do shave everyday when I have new things to try, which is far too often!

Great, it's not just me then.

The 'recovery day(s)' makes sense. Shaving every day, my face was always slightly sore afterwards. After the two-day shave, I had absolutely no soreness and seemed far less prone to tiny nicks.

I have enough growth to shave daily but I now leave it an extra day and find the BBS or DFS feeling more rewarding :icon_razz:

Same. Perhaps it is an illusion as there is more of a difference after if it is left longer?

I'm convinced it is better though. To me it seems if I take a blade to longer hairs I get a much cleaner cut whereas with hair that is no more than 'sandpaper stubble', I need more passes to get it smooth which causes more irritation and doesn't look so clean.

On the other hand, if the hair is longer I'm more inclined to use a fresh blade so maybe that is the answer?

What an interesting thread. Just shows how different our faces and beards are.

For myself, I shave daily as I deal with the public every day, so I like to be well groomed as it were.

Normally (but not always) I don't work on Saturdays, so I like to try something different. At present I wait until late afternoon/early evening to have a shower and shave on longer beard growth. When I do this I use the CJB Kamisori I bought from here as I can take my time and enjoy the shave. Having a good close shave late on Saturday gives me a day off on Sunday, then Monday Morning I'm back to normal- with any razor I fancy.

Perhaps I'm lucky, but I have never suffered any irritation or razor rash so I do what I think will give me the best shave with the Instrument and products I fancy at the time !

Don't like to leave it - especially the 'itch' that comes after a day but find two days' growth feels better to shave and perhaps we weren't really meant to shave each day but have done to suit modern life? Two days or even 36hrs is fine too.

FoxyRick said:

Is it just me?

Hi FoxyRick,

Glad to hear that it's working out for you.

Out of interest, what was the winning kit combination for you?

I find a day off between shaves makes it much more comfortable too.

However, I can shave almost every day (6 days a week) with a DE which I couldn't do with disposables or electric razors.

I shave every other night, if i had to be clean shaven for work i would have to shave every day, my stubble feels like sand paper after 24hrs.

I've not actually shaved with a DE every day, i guess its just habit from all the years a cartridge torn my face up, so i had to leave it two days or more between shaves.

Aye, me too. I prefer to shave every other day for for a closer more comfortable shave. Not uncommon for me to go 3 or 4 days, today was my 1st shave since Saturday for example.

eneville said:
Hi FoxyRick,

Glad to hear that it's working out for you.

Out of interest, what was the winning kit combination for you?

Thanks, it certainly is working out. I've never looked forward to shaving before!

I bought an EJ DE89 Barley, now using a Palmolive soap stick with a Vulfix 404 mixed brush (thanks to Oscroft) and as of yesterday I'm lathering in the Wilkinson Sword blue plastic shaving bowl that I emptied the horrible soap lump out of.

At the moment I'm still using Personna Platinum blades, from Lose the beard's newbie starter pack. I might try a different blade next time I change it though, just to see.

Back
Top Bottom