BigBoar's No4 Bay Rum.

I've been a good boy and with patience 've just finished brewing some bay rum. I've always wanted something to not be so heavy on cloves. A bit citrusy (the zest of only one lemon / lime...whatever, should have been enough - well, I put two just to be on the safe side) but this will make it just fine for the summer.

IMG_6745.jpg

Why it got this colour (dark amber in real life), can't tell, probably because I added Carribean Dark Rum in it (later on I learnt it's not actually needed).
I'll need only to test it and make some finishing touches if needed.

PS - ignore the mantel clock, is set for summer time (thinking ahead)

Well, we are past the winter solstice ...

JohnnyO. o/

Hence the things are looking up, I might go for a second batch (only alcoholic extraction, no added rum). The only thing I find weird is to make bay rum AS without actually using the leaves but the essential oil. It seems impossible to get the bay tree from anywhere in UK, even as ornamental plant.
Speaking of bay tree - I went to B&Q 2-3 weeks ago and to my surprise I found the laurel tree (laurus nobilis clearly written in latin and labeled) and "bay tree" (sic !). I thought that someone upstairs still loves me so I bought the bay tree (or so it was labeled, no latin name or any other information). A closer analysis of the leaves when back home suggested a very close resembles with the laurel leaves in the cupboard. I crushed a couple of leaves but the aroma was still dubious. The problem is I don't know how true bay leaves smell like (a sponsored trip to Florida as a research project might come in handy).
Anyhow, I've been off topic enough.

Back
Top Bottom