Bit disappointed really but on the other hand slightly amazed!!

I haven't been DE shaving for long and I started off with an EJ89, very nice shaves, very good quality and seems ok with most blades (but not Jewel! I don't think any razor is).
After that I bought a 1973 Gillette Tech £8, again nice shaves etc, then came a 1914 Velvet OC, ok for a couple of quid. Next came a Merkur, nice piece of kit, heavy and good looking, shaves ok.
Well then comes the pre 1953 PAL in case off Ebay for £4, small, not particularly good looking, a bit light for me, didn't think much of it, BUT what a great shave!! For me this razor has performed better than any off the others hands down, never any cuts, always BBS, always comfortable, no rash, all the blades I've tried have all worked well in the PAL. I don't know what to do now, do I carry on buying razors hoping one will out perform this one or is that it? Have I found my perfect razor? I like buying razors, who doesn't, but I'm afraid nothing will compare and I'll keep going back to it.
I liken it to the film Indiana Jones (can't remeber which) where he has to choose the cup Jesus would have drank from, a line of gold jewel encrusted (not the blade) goblets fit for kings and then one insignificant little plain cup, well the PAL is that cup.
Anyway I've had a beer so that's why I'm rambling, but I may never buy another razor again!!

I've had the same thought, but for me, budget and space constraints mean that I'm now at the stage where, if I want to buy another razor, I've got to sell one first, and I don't want to sell any of them.

DE PAL, to look at it it's nothing but it's great and for only £4!
I only have 5 razors so maybe it's too soon to tell, I've noticed I rarely use the EJ and that was my first and best razor, or so I thought!
I might get the little PAL gold plated to make it a little more special, ha ha

Well, EJ was my first razor too, and it was rubbish. So you've still got a lot to explore ;) You know, I can get an effortless BBS with Aristo, for instance, or Weber - I mean really clean and smooth. But keep reaching for other razors, it's just more fun, a bit of challenge.

I suppose it's a question of how good you imagine a shave can get Tackle M8. If you are enjoying the performance of this razor, almost invariably get the closest and most comfortable shave you've had from a razor does it matter that it's your least expensive one and you've found it sooner rather than later ? If you still fancy any particular model in the future and can afford it, then sure, indulge the collector in us all and pick it up. But, for now, why not just settle with the bit of kit which gives you the kind of shave many look for for years. (And congratulate yourself with a couple of beers ) !

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:

I suppose so JohnnyO, I just imagined my best razor would look great, feel great, have a cool name and logo, be ultra shiney and cost more than a few quid. I reckon I'm pretty lucky then, also I found the same PAL razor on a web site selling for £23 so it was a bargain!

Back
Top Bottom