Blackland Adjustable DE Razor

Agreed on the CAD drawings, but maybe he feels he has a loyal enough customer base to stick with him over Yaqi. And that they’d only copy it on release anyway.

He may have been able to delay that by not showing the CAD designs. A tough call.

It certainly looks interesting. I’d best start saving up!

Yaqi will have that made by the weekend.
Chinese market is for the easy tasks.
Watch the Yaqi's Vector "homage" head.
Just close, not equal. And, no design for the handle.

This one looks to me a bit out of range. Too complex.
Difficult to stay in the normal q/p chinese ratio.

... maybe he feels he has a loyal enough customer base to stick with him over Yaqi.
He has, in forums for sure.

It is indeed interesting, and no doubt it will be up to the best Blackland standards in terms of functionality and finish, but I'm not sure if it comes into the "better mouse trap" category. I suspect a downside for many UK prospective purchasers will be that the pricing may well be in the Tatara/Sailor adjustables bracket, which is a lot of money, especially when further loaded with UK tax and other imposts; but that remains to be seen.

As always, it's tempting, but I'm asking myself whether I'd really use another adjustable on top of those I already have, and especially if the price is such that other desirable razors might be available for less outlay.

One little thing that concerned me was the fact that you couldn't take the adjustable part of the razor apart which over time I can see it getting gunked up with soap deposits and suchlike.
The only way to keep this part of the razor super clean would be to buy an ultrasonic cleaning bath which I suppose isn't too much of a hassle but it's not ideal.
I would be pleased to be proved wrong as far as this is concerned because for me it would be a concern!

Paul.

One little thing that concerned me was the fact that you couldn't take the adjustable part of the razor apart which over time I can see it getting gunked up with soap deposits and suchlike.
The only way to keep this part of the razor super clean would be to buy an ultrasonic cleaning bath which I suppose isn't too much of a hassle but it's not ideal.
I would be pleased to be proved wrong as far as this is concerned because for me it would be a concern!

Paul.
The easy dismantling is a nice feature of the Tatara Muramasa, but, as you note, most of the other adjustables are a real PITA to get apart and, importantly, put back together again.

I've got a fairly high-powered heatable ultrasonic unit, which is handy for doing these things. However, as I found to my cost, some razors (I recall Progress/Digress/Mergress) have bits secured with Loctite or similar, and half-an-hour of heat and vibration is not good for them. All the other razors I've had a go at are fine, as are fountain pens and nibs (unheated, of course), melodeon reeds, cycle parts, tools and all manner of other bits and pieces.

My thoughts exactly.

The easy dismantling is a nice feature of the Tatara Muramasa
Hence The Muramasa is still on my wish list as an adjustable razor.

Plus from what it has been described the adjustability only seems to affect the blade gap not also the exposure. Another + for Tatara.

Looking forward to see the final product as no doubt will be good looking but still saving money for Tatara Muramasa.

My thoughts exactly.

Hence The Muramasa is still on my wish list as an adjustable razor.

Plus from what it has been described the adjustability only seems to affect the blade gap not also the exposure. Another + for Tatara.

Looking forward to see the final product as no doubt will be good looking but still saving money for Tatara Muramasa.
Yes, I really like the look of the Tatara Muramasa, how much is that costing?

Cheers,

Paul.

The easy dismantling is a nice feature of the Tatara Muramasa, but, as you note, most of the other adjustables are a real PITA to get apart and, importantly, put back together again.

I've got a fairly high-powered heatable ultrasonic unit, which is handy for doing these things. However, as I found to my cost, some razors (I recall Progress/Digress/Mergress) have bits secured with Loctite or similar, and half-an-hour of heat and vibration is not good for them. All the other razors I've had a go at are fine, as are fountain pens and nibs (unheated, of course), melodeon reeds, cycle parts, tools and all manner of other bits and pieces.
This is why I loved the Gibbs adjustable razor, like a rifle you could strip it down to the last component and clean it properly. A lovely bit of kit!

Paul.

I got mine for £300 delivered from Maggard Razors with no custom fees.

It’s £320 from Slick Boys.

I think when there was Black Friday you could get it for around £270 @Boycie83 would know best on this.
Thank you, it's a big ticket item but I like it but do I need it.....I will have to look into it or maybe some kind Gentleman will offer to loan me one for a few shave's!

Paul.

Back
Top Bottom