Boar brushes

http://www.soapysecrets.co.uk/sls-free-mens-secret-shaving-soaps-and-shaving-products/boar's-bristle-shaving-brush-mens-shaving-accessories
£3.50 - not sure what the delivery cost is. Wooden handle.
Personally they are not my bag at all.
rsz_3%20brushes-250x250.jpg

Blyth Spirit said:
I'll rock the boat a bit.

I think that the black handled Wilkinson Sword £4.50 boar available from everywhere is an absolutley magnificent performer with hard soaps (such as C&E and T&H) when bowl lathering.

So there...

According to some info. found out by one of our members, (Tony possibly) said brush is actually synthetic.

chrisbell said:
Blyth Spirit said:

I think that the black handled Wilkinson Sword £4.50 boar available from everywhere is an absolutley magnificent performer with hard soaps (such as C&E and T&H) when bowl lathering.

So there...

According to some info. found out by one of our members, (Tony possibly) said brush is actually synthetic.

actually there is more than one wilkinson sword brush,

i had one free with a kit earlier this year that was boar

the replacement when knot fell out was another wilkinson from supermarket this time and that was synthetic

shanky887614 said:
chrisbell said:
Blyth Spirit said:

So there...

actually there is more than one wilkinson sword brush,

i had one free with a kit earlier this year that was boar

the replacement when knot fell out was another wilkinson from supermarket this time and that was synthetic

Thanks for that, I'm always glad to be corrected in order to ensure things are clear and sorted.

the wilkinson sword boar is not a bad lathering brush

the synthetic one is too floppy for hard soaps, might be ok on soft soaps/creams

i would not recomend people go for the black handle one (dont know whether its synthetic or boar, it dosnt say)

the boar is the one with the wooden handle

41QDaqOs1JL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

images

to be honest, if you are thinking of getting any of these it would be because your proper brush has broken and you are waiting for a replacement

I went through a big boar brush phase a year or so ago, and tried many different ones from Semogue, Omega, etc.

I now only use badger - Fido's 2201, still going strong. Perfect combo of handle size, shape, hair, density.

I just never got any satisfaction from boars. Yes, they do the job, but I just didn't like the "cold straw" like face feel.

John

Hmm, I use a black handle Wilkinson "Pure Bristle" brush, as detailed in Shanky's pic, and there is no way it could be described as floppy. Without a good soaking it's pretty solid in fact.

I always get a great lather from it and the palmolive stick. I haven't used a badger brush though, so can't compare it.

fatboyslimfast said:
Hmm, I use a black handle Wilkinson "Pure Bristle" brush, as detailed in Shanky's pic, and there is no way it could be described as floppy. Without a good soaking it's pretty solid in fact.

I always get a great lather from it and the palmolive stick. I haven't used a badger brush though, so can't compare it.
I've spoken to Wilkinson, and the black-handled brush is synthetic hair, not boar. In fact, all their brushes now are synthetic (I think they stopped making the wood-handled model).

I used the black handled WS "Pure Bristle" in my kit while serving in Iraq. It was great, a performer with any soap. The WS soapin blue tub was TERRIBLE! But you can't have everything. I was given a synthetic brush by a local, it was terrible. Maybe the brush but it shied me from synthetics.

I'm re-discovering boar brushes at the moment having plumped for a a number of new Semogues (SOC, LE 2011 & 2000) to add to my 830 (which is still currently undergoing a tug-of-love battle between my wife and I).

I'm finding that I prefer the Semogue boars over the Omega boars I've tried; they just seem to be made with a little bit more attention to detail.

ajc347 said:
I'm finding that I prefer the Semogue boars over the Omega boars I've tried; they just seem to be made with a little bit more attention to detail.

I must admit that since starting this thread I have given up on my Omega boar and binned it .
I am now using a Semogue 1305 and 2000 , they are totally different to the Omega and I cant praise them enough , the quality of the finish is the icing on the cake .
I now bypass my badger brushes costing up to six times as much as a Semogue and go straight to the Semogues , they are now my brush of choice ,
Regards ,
Derrick

ajc347 said:
I'm re-discovering boar brushes at the moment having plumped for a a number of new Semogues (SOC, LE 2011 & 2000) to add to my 830 (which is still currently undergoing a tug-of-love battle between my wife and I).

I had a fair run with Semogues and bought about 6. I found them really ordinary compared to Omegas. Yes, the materials and build is usually more involved, but I thought the knots all sucked; they were all the same regardless of loft and width. All went floppy soft, and that's the brief they're going for - badger like feel. But I wanted boar grunt, and Omegas boars go just as soft, only retain actual backbone.

The reason for this is Semogues knots are manipulated by design for fatness. A 1305 spec is listed at 22 knot. It isn't, and neither are the other brushes 'on spec'. A broken and reknotted 1305, (I also reknotted a 620 and 1460) shows that the actual width is about 18 at most, and all their knots sit in a metal cup, which then sits in the handle. The cup is funnel shaped and flares the knot, which is glued at the edge of the cup.

So you're actually getting a 18/55 brush that's flared out for artificial density. No wonder they go so soft; that's a poor width/loft ratio. Same goes for the fatter/thinner knot brushes, the same proportions apply.

I got a 2000 and it's practically unusable, it's so floppy, the SOC was pretty much the same. But an omega 10202, which is longer and fatter, has some real grunt, but is really soft at the tips.

Omega have straighter set knots, that are more densely filled per spec. And they all feel different. So I bought a few of those. They cost a great deal less, as yes, some of the cheaper ones have very plasticky handles, but the knots are great even at the cheap end.

ajc347 said:

+1 Andy.

Semogues are far superior for me and my tastes compared to any other brand of boar brush.

Drubbing said:
The reason for this is Semogues knots are manipulated by design for fatness. A 1305 spec is listed at 22 knot. It isn't, and neither are the other brushes 'on spec'. A broken and reknotted 1305, (I also reknotted a 620 and 1460) shows that the actual width is about 18 at most, and all their knots sit in a metal cup, which then sits in the handle. The cup is funnel shaped and flares the knot, which is glued at the edge of the cup.

So you're actually getting a 18/55 brush that's flared out for artificial density. No wonder they go so soft; that's a poor width/loft ratio. Same goes for the fatter/thinner knot brushes, the same proportions apply.

I always wondered why Semogues have the metal ring at the top of the handle. I wasn't aware they used a metal cup. It might explain why the bloom on my 730HD is wider than any other brush I've used.

I don't have too much of a problem with brushes going floppy. The fully broken in 830 I've got works wonderfully for me. I do bowl lather exclusively though which might explain why it is not so much of an issue for me.

I would like to get a boar brush. I use a badger but I like the idea of having a stiffer brush as well.

The trouble is I've not seen any with a large enough loft for my liking.

Also you have to find one where the tips haven't been cut to shape the brush because they will never break in.
After a few uses the ends will split up into much finer hairs making them soft to the touch.
These ones are mega money but bearing this in mind they could be the best of both worlds, the softness of badger but with stiffness too!

My Semogue 830 tips have split.

It wasn't mega money.

My Semogue 1305 tips have split.

It wasn't mega money.

My Vulfix 404 tips have split.

It wasn't mega money.

My SOC 2000 was a pile of old wank, fair dues, that wasn't mega money either.

Back
Top Bottom